I haven\'t graduted yet but I want to work!
Thread poster: Carola Kagel
Sep 4, 2002

I\'m still a student but I don\'t want to wait until I have my diploma in my hand to start working . My native language is Spanish, I live in Argentina. There are many unemployed graduated translators here, that means there are very few chances of finding a job being a student. What can I do?

Kevin Harper
Kevin Harper  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:24
German to English
+ ...
Depends on Your Skills, But... Sep 4, 2002

Unless you\'re in final year, then forget it.

If you are in your final year, you are very good at translation, and you have covered texts of a commercial or technical nature, then it might be worth applying to some agencies.

However, only a few might take you on until you have graduated, and you could run the risk of losing them if you are not good enough. So, only take on very short, simple texts at first. However, bear in mind that agencies will have a
... See more
Unless you\'re in final year, then forget it.

If you are in your final year, you are very good at translation, and you have covered texts of a commercial or technical nature, then it might be worth applying to some agencies.

However, only a few might take you on until you have graduated, and you could run the risk of losing them if you are not good enough. So, only take on very short, simple texts at first. However, bear in mind that agencies will have a lot of English-Spanish translators to choose from. If you are doing other languages, you may get better results from applying to agencies at this stage.

As you said, even once you have graduated, you will not get as much work as you might like until you have over 5 years\' experience.
Collapse

claude
claude
Thailand
Local time: 08:24
English to French
Suggestion Sep 4, 2002

You could find a part time job in a company. In some related domain like edition, or communication agency. It would allow you to acquire already some skills and experience in some domain and could be easier to find some jobs with some specificity later with agencies.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I haven\'t graduted yet but I want to work!

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »