Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Are Almeda University online degrees recognized?
Thread poster: Dina Abdo
Dina Abdo
Dina Abdo  Identity Verified
Palestine
Local time: 09:14
Member (2005)
Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Mar 15, 2006

[Edited at 2006-03-15 07:53]

Dina Abdo
Dina Abdo  Identity Verified
Palestine
Member (2005)
Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I considered it Sarah! Mar 15, 2006

sarahl wrote:

are a common scam.

Say, Dina, why don't you just sign up for school in an English-speaking country to have immersion too?

And this is why I responded to that Almeda scam.

I've been seeking an online degree at any of the recognized schools Sarah, but my problem was that even totally online courses required attending exams at the school campus or at embassies. Where I live, I can never guarantee my chances of being able to travel or being allowed into the territories where embassies are located. It meant that I may be having the chance to study whole courses and not being able to attend my final exams!

MA and PHD programs exist in our local schools' system here in Gaza, but none of them offered in my fields; not even a general field of translation art for example.

A colleague suggested a school in South Africa in one of my previous posts on proz forums; in which courses and exams are all taken online. But I had a hard time applying for the program at the school's web site ... If the site had troubles submitting my application; I thought, then how am I going to take courses and exams there? Their online system was just too ... weak I may say??

Any ideas where I can find similar programs??

Imad Almaghary (X)
Imad Almaghary (X)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Practice makes perfect and substitutes degrees Mar 16, 2006

Good morning

I have been following what has been written here in this forum and I came to the conclusion that this university system is not reliable. It is not rational and it is rather preposterous as one might have suggested.

Here on the Internet world you do not need a higher degree like being a master holder or Ph.D holder and so on.
What matters is how qualified you are. There are those who got higher degrees and can not master the art of translation whatso
... See more
Good morning

I have been following what has been written here in this forum and I came to the conclusion that this university system is not reliable. It is not rational and it is rather preposterous as one might have suggested.

Here on the Internet world you do not need a higher degree like being a master holder or Ph.D holder and so on.
What matters is how qualified you are. There are those who got higher degrees and can not master the art of translation whatsoever, this is from one hand and from the other hand there are those who are university degree holders and are so much more perfect within this arena and spectrum.
One story to be recalled in this respect and I do not really honestly say this for reflecting and advertising for my work and really it is meant to help, I translated some documents of a high price for a poor lady. She paid that high price although she is poor. Once again, she asked me to translate again and paid a high price and this really astonished me very much because she made no comments at all about that high price as if it is normal.

Once she said: every document you translate achieves our goal of getting work because UNRWA accepts our translated application and every time officials ask about the translator because the translation is perfect. I was paid by some institutions a price that is doubled because of good translation quality so do not care very much for online degree and you should look for degrees as you attend study courses if that is important for you in case you do not find online ones and I am sure there are but I have no idea about that. Really I was asked to give such course and I was selected at a time doctors were neglected although I respect them very much. Try to improve yourself for ever.

Yours
Mr. Imad
Translator, writer and lecturer
Collapse

paulfalcon
paulfalcon

Local time: 01:14
Almeda University is nationally accredited and recognized by several agencies Jan 14, 2011

Through meeting high standards of education, Almeda University has been granted membership or accreditation by several certifying organizations. A brief description of each is provided below. We encourage you to visit their web sites for further information:

COMMITTEE FOR DISTANCE EDUCATION ACCREDITATION (CDEA) has a commitment to high quality educational values, customer service and business practices. The services of CDEA are specific to international open and distance uni
... See more
Through meeting high standards of education, Almeda University has been granted membership or accreditation by several certifying organizations. A brief description of each is provided below. We encourage you to visit their web sites for further information:

COMMITTEE FOR DISTANCE EDUCATION ACCREDITATION (CDEA) has a commitment to high quality educational values, customer service and business practices. The services of CDEA are specific to international open and distance universities, colleges, schools and private institutions.

The Association for Online Academic Excellence (AOAEX): The Association for Online Academic Excellence is a private, professional accrediting association that provides employers with a resource of acceptable college degrees attained through non-traditional means. The colleges and universities that gain accreditation by AOAEX strive to produce qualified degree students that meet or exceed those of more traditionally accredited universities.

Interfaith Education Ministries (IEM) provides certificates of measurement and evaluation of educational and professional credentials and practices of traditional, nontraditional, religious and other online and distance education programs. IEM, founded in 1965, is listed in the UNESCO Higher Education Institutions Registry (HEIR) under United States of America. UNESCO is the Educational Arm of the United Nations which is recognized by the Departments of Education of all countries members of the Lisbon Convention, including the U.S. Department of Education . UNESCO is recognized by the Council on Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).

http://www.almedauniversity.org/certification-accreditation.html
Collapse

paulfalcon
paulfalcon

Local time: 01:14
Almeda University is nationally accredited and recognized by several agencies Jan 17, 2011

After some research based on your answers, I found this on the site:

COMMITTEE FOR DISTANCE EDUCATION ACCREDITATION (CDEA)... See more
After some research based on your answers, I found this on the site:

COMMITTEE FOR DISTANCE EDUCATION ACCREDITATION (CDEA) has a commitment to high quality educational values, customer service and business practices. The services of CDEA are specific to international open and distance universities, colleges, schools and private institutions.

The Association for Online Academic Excellence (AOAEX): The Association for Online Academic Excellence is a private, professional accrediting association that provides employers with a resource of acceptable college degrees attained through non-traditional means. The colleges and universities that gain accreditation by AOAEX strive to produce qualified degree students that meet or exceed those of more traditionally accredited universities.

Interfaith Education Ministries (IEM) provides certificates of measurement and evaluation of educational and professional credentials and practices of traditional, nontraditional, religious and other online and distance education programs. IEM, founded in 1965, is listed in the UNESCO Higher Education Institutions Registry (HEIR) under United States of America. UNESCO is the Educational Arm of the United Nations which is recognized by the Departments of Education of all countries members of the Lisbon Convention, including the U.S. Department of Education. UNESCO is recognized by the Council on Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Are Almeda University online degrees recognized?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »