Thread poster: Elaine Freeland (X)
Elaine Freeland (X)
Elaine Freeland (X)
Local time: 19:52
English to Russian
+ ...
Jul 29, 2002

Hello all,

Although I\'m a professional translator, I never bothered to get any kind of accreditation (if it\'s the right word) as I always managed to get freelance assignments without it. But now I\'d like to do it, finally, and don\'t know where to start. Could you please tell me how, and whom, I should approach, or maybe what the requirements and the procedure are. Maybe there\'re web sites or something? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Th
... See more
Hello all,

Although I\'m a professional translator, I never bothered to get any kind of accreditation (if it\'s the right word) as I always managed to get freelance assignments without it. But now I\'d like to do it, finally, and don\'t know where to start. Could you please tell me how, and whom, I should approach, or maybe what the requirements and the procedure are. Maybe there\'re web sites or something? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot,

Elaine
Collapse

williamson (X)
williamson (X)
Dutch to English
+ ...
FIT-website Jul 29, 2002

Have a look at the FIT website. (http://www.fit-ift.org/). This page contains links to the websites of all the associations, where you will find all the information you need for accredition exams.

Amy Sommer
Amy Sommer  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Institute of Linguists, London Jul 29, 2002

You could try a distance learning course with City University London who prepares candidates for the Diploma in Translation by the Institute of Linguists in London. I have run into the same problem and am currently following the course. It seems very good. Try the following link : www.city.ac.uk/languages. It means that you don\'t have to leave home to study! Good luck and hope this helps!

Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:52
German to English
Institute of Linguists Jul 30, 2002

I\'d go for the Diploma in Translation. As the previous contributor said you don\'t have to go anywhere to study as they have some corrspondence courses. But don\'t expect it to be easy (7 hours of exams in one day) or cheap (£350 for the exam + correspondence course) and they\'re still stuck in the stone age when it comes to customer service and efficiency!

mckinnc
mckinnc  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Also University of Cardiff Jul 30, 2002

I have been preparing for the French-English Diploma in Translation this year with the University of Cardiff. It\'s all done by e-mail and by using their website. Although it would undoubtedly be better to attend actual classes, this is very handy when you live abroad. There is a lot less interaction with fellow students and lecturers than would be normal for a course actually within a university.

I would have liked to do the Masters at Heriot Watt in Edinburgh but that mean
... See more
I have been preparing for the French-English Diploma in Translation this year with the University of Cardiff. It\'s all done by e-mail and by using their website. Although it would undoubtedly be better to attend actual classes, this is very handy when you live abroad. There is a lot less interaction with fellow students and lecturers than would be normal for a course actually within a university.

I would have liked to do the Masters at Heriot Watt in Edinburgh but that means taking a year out and moving up there. Preparing for the Diploma by distance learning means not having to give up your day job.

The Institute of Linguists (www.iol.org.uk)should have a list of institutions offering preparation for the Diploma exams for Russian.
Collapse

williamson (X)
williamson (X)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Institut de Traducteurs et Interprètes in Geneva Jul 30, 2002

Most famous and oldest school for T&I in the world.

Beth Kantus
Beth Kantus  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:52
German to English
ATA Accreditation Exam Information Jul 30, 2002

The American Translators Association has accreditation exams scheduled for September of this year in Bologna and in Utrecht.

You might want to visit the accreditation page of their website for further information:

http://www.atanet.org/bin/view.pl/285.html

And good luck in your efforts!

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-30 18:03
... See more
The American Translators Association has accreditation exams scheduled for September of this year in Bologna and in Utrecht.

You might want to visit the accreditation page of their website for further information:

http://www.atanet.org/bin/view.pl/285.html

And good luck in your efforts!

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-30 18:03 ]
Collapse

Elaine Freeland (X)
Elaine Freeland (X)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
THANK YOU GUYS! Jul 31, 2002

Thanks a million to you all, it\'s been a great help and now I know which steps to take. The links are great and the advice invaluable.

Thanks again!

Cheers,

Elaine

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where can I get accreditation?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »