German foreign correspondent seeking education and career advice.
Thread poster: steffle
steffle
steffle
Local time: 16:39
English to German
Jul 13, 2002

Hi there,

I’m a 19-year-old foreign correspondent (languages: English – German, German – English, German-French and French–German). I’m from Germany and currently in the U.S. as an Au Pair.

My Au Pair year ends mid October 2002 and afterwards I would like to continue my language studies or start working in this field.

I\'m desperately searching for an opportunity to stay in the United States, looking for colleges offering
... See more
Hi there,

I’m a 19-year-old foreign correspondent (languages: English – German, German – English, German-French and French–German). I’m from Germany and currently in the U.S. as an Au Pair.

My Au Pair year ends mid October 2002 and afterwards I would like to continue my language studies or start working in this field.

I\'m desperately searching for an opportunity to stay in the United States, looking for colleges offering language programs for foreign students (Is anyone aware of any grants for foreign students studying in the U.S.?). I\'m also looking for entrance level job opportunities, an apprenticeship or an internship.

I would appreciate any information concerning this matter.

Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,

Steffi H.

Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Moved your topic here Jul 14, 2002

Hi Steffi!

I moved your posting to this forum, because I believe you will get a much wider audience here.

Good luck!

Ralf Lemster

(Moderator - German forum)

eldira
eldira
Indonesia
Local time: 22:39
Indonesian to English
+ ...
scholarship search Jul 14, 2002

Dear Steffy,

type \"scholarship\" in the Yahoo search utility or HotBot or other search engines, and you will find numerous links that you can follow.

Fluency in 3 languages is very rare, and you should consider translations as a future profession and prepare yourself for it.

Good luck.

Evi Wollinger
Evi Wollinger  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Just a few tips Jul 15, 2002

I came to Canada as an Au pair many years ago and had some of the same ideas when my stay came to an end. I am sure immigration policies have changed, they are not the same as in the United States anyways, but I would like to offer some general advice based on my own experiences:

You need to get in touch with the government immigration department to find out what you have to do in order to obtain a visum that will permit you to remain in the United States (in my case I had to work as a
... See more
I came to Canada as an Au pair many years ago and had some of the same ideas when my stay came to an end. I am sure immigration policies have changed, they are not the same as in the United States anyways, but I would like to offer some general advice based on my own experiences:

You need to get in touch with the government immigration department to find out what you have to do in order to obtain a visum that will permit you to remain in the United States (in my case I had to work as a nanny for a second year to obtain landed immigrant status before I could even apply for another job). I doubt that there is any financial aid for foreign students, but you should inquire at the German Consulate. They might be able to help you.

You might also consider going back to Germany in October and enrolling in language studies there, maybe you are able to study abroad for part of a program (somebody else might be able to advise you on that?!)

Good luck!

Collapse

JKB
JKB
United States
Local time: 11:39
English to German
+ ...
studying/living in the States Jul 15, 2002

Hi!

I have lived and studied in the States as a fulbright student. If you are planning to stay in the US permanently, don\'t apply for a fulbright scholarship. They are tempting (prestige and moneywise), but may cause a lot of trouble once you decide to stay. You need to leave the States for two years after completion of your studies and even after that it\'s difficult to re-enter sometimes. I am married to an American now (we are living outside the US because of my visa),
... See more
Hi!

I have lived and studied in the States as a fulbright student. If you are planning to stay in the US permanently, don\'t apply for a fulbright scholarship. They are tempting (prestige and moneywise), but may cause a lot of trouble once you decide to stay. You need to leave the States for two years after completion of your studies and even after that it\'s difficult to re-enter sometimes. I am married to an American now (we are living outside the US because of my visa), and we have had a very difficult time to apply for residency for me, although I am Austrian and not really on Bush\'s watch list of evil.

As somebody else before me pointed out, the easiest way is to go back to Germany, get started with a language program (which is probably better there anyway), decide what you want to do and then apply for a year abroad study scheme.

I don\'t want to sound negative by the way! I am sure there are ways to stay there, just be careful and let the immigration department know what your intentions are. And Fulbright is definitely not an option if you KNOW that you want to stay in the States long term.

Good luck!

JKaren
Collapse

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:39
German to English
+ ...
"Foreign Correspondent" Jul 15, 2002

Hi,

Just a tip - Fremdsprachenkorrespondent/in is NOT \"foreign correspondent\" in English. A foreign correspondent is a journalist working for his/her newspaper/TV show, etc. abroad. That could cause some serious confusion if you put that on a resume or application!

Good luck to you!

Daina

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 09:39
German to English
As Daina said Jul 15, 2002

It\'s foreign correspondence clerk/secretary.

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:39
German to English
+ ...
Or to Americanize it - Jul 17, 2002

- multilingual secretary / administrative assistant. In the States we really don\'t call someone who works in an office a \"clerk\" anymore.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

German foreign correspondent seeking education and career advice.

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »