Target word rates
Thread poster: Kimmy
Kimmy
Kimmy
Local time: 19:46
Italian to English
+ ...
Jul 12, 2002

I am really confused about Target word rates. What does it mean EXACTLY and how do I calculate them?

jccantrell
jccantrell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:46
Member (2005)
German to English
my understanding Jul 12, 2002

In the USA, most people charge by word counting in the TARGET language. For instance, I do German > English. When I bill the client, I count the words in the English translation and bill using that number.

In other countries, they use the SOURCE language, probably because that gives the client a handle on just how much how much the translation is going to cost him before awarding the job.

In still other countries, they use a standard output line for the
... See more
In the USA, most people charge by word counting in the TARGET language. For instance, I do German > English. When I bill the client, I count the words in the English translation and bill using that number.

In other countries, they use the SOURCE language, probably because that gives the client a handle on just how much how much the translation is going to cost him before awarding the job.

In still other countries, they use a standard output line for the target translation and then charge by the output line. This is about the same as charging by the target word count.

Calculating the number of target words is relatively easy if you use a word processor, such as MSWord. They provide various statistics including the word count. This is the number you should use on your invoice.

If you are from a country that uses source language billing and want to go for jobs in countries using target language billing, I would take several representative jobs that I had done, calculate the word-count factor between the source and target texts and then apply this factor to my rates.

Hope this is actually what you were asking. If not, please disregard all that blathering above
Collapse

Carla Zwanenberg
Carla Zwanenberg  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:46
Member (2002)
English to Dutch
+ ...
target rate is your normal rate Jul 12, 2002

Hi Kimmy,

I think you are referring to the target rate per word you can enter in your ProZ profile. You are right, it is a bit confusing as one might think that it has to do with the target language of a translation. In this case however, the target rate refers to your normal translation rate, that is, the rate you would advertise on let\'s say your homepage. Sometimes you are willing to work for less than your normal rate, for example when business is slow or when somebody
... See more
Hi Kimmy,

I think you are referring to the target rate per word you can enter in your ProZ profile. You are right, it is a bit confusing as one might think that it has to do with the target language of a translation. In this case however, the target rate refers to your normal translation rate, that is, the rate you would advertise on let\'s say your homepage. Sometimes you are willing to work for less than your normal rate, for example when business is slow or when somebody offers you a very attractive job. That\'s why you can set a minimum rate next to your target rate.

I hope it\'s more clear now

Groeten,

Carla

(you didn\'t mean rate per target word as opposed to rate per cartella, did you? In that case it\'s not so difficult to calculate your rate per word. You just take a number of translated cartelle and let MS Word count the words. Then calculate the average number of words per cartella (depending on the language this will be something between 210 and 230) and divide your rate per cartella by the number of words per cartella.

Example:

rate per cartella: EUR 20.00

15 cartelle = 3180 words (the more cartelle you count, the more exact the outcome will be)

1 cartella = 3180/15 = 212 words

rate per word is 20/212 = EUR 0,094)

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-12 20:44 ]
Collapse

Kimmy
Kimmy
Local time: 19:46
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 15, 2002

OK! Slowly but surely I\'ll get a grip on this rate stuff!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Target word rates

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »