Wanting to establish relationships with agencies worldwide (+ how do I get familiar with CAT tools)
Thread poster: Diana Marfogel
Diana Marfogel
Diana Marfogel  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 16:26
Hebrew to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 28, 2002

I think this is the first time I participate in the \"conversation\", although I have learnt a lot just from reading the messages you all write...

My question is:

How do agencies usually contact freelancers from all over the world to offer jobs? I mean, assuming they have got all the information in their database, would they contact me by e-mail, by phone?

And another question: I want to start working with foreign clients and agencies, but I
... See more
I think this is the first time I participate in the \"conversation\", although I have learnt a lot just from reading the messages you all write...

My question is:

How do agencies usually contact freelancers from all over the world to offer jobs? I mean, assuming they have got all the information in their database, would they contact me by e-mail, by phone?

And another question: I want to start working with foreign clients and agencies, but I have noticed that in the translation world market you have to be equipped with software and CAT tools in order to fit. What do you think are the software and CAT tools packages I need, and how do I get trained, by myself, through internet sites, etc?

Thank you!

Diana
Collapse

Patricia Myers
Patricia Myers
United States
Local time: 06:26
English to Catalan
+ ...
Mi experiencia Jun 28, 2002

Normalmente, los clientes se ponen en contacto conmigo vía correo electrónico. A veces me llaman por teléfono, depende del cliente, el encargo de traducción, etc. En ocasiones, también me contactan por fax. Pero, el 80% de las veces me envían un e-mail. Es rápido, fácil y barato (especialmente si el cliente vive en otro país).

La mayoría de agencias con las que trabajo tienen una base de datos con mis datos personales y una copia de mi currículum. La primera vez
... See more
Normalmente, los clientes se ponen en contacto conmigo vía correo electrónico. A veces me llaman por teléfono, depende del cliente, el encargo de traducción, etc. En ocasiones, también me contactan por fax. Pero, el 80% de las veces me envían un e-mail. Es rápido, fácil y barato (especialmente si el cliente vive en otro país).

La mayoría de agencias con las que trabajo tienen una base de datos con mis datos personales y una copia de mi currículum. La primera vez que trabajé para ellas me hicieron rellenar una \"solicitud\" con mis datos personales, especialización, tarifas, etc.

Sobre programas de traducción asistida, te diré que todos mis clientes (los que precisan estos programas) prefieren que trabaje con Trados. Puedes encontrar ”tutoriales” del programa en la página web de Trados (http://www.trados.com). Yo te recomendaría también asistir a clases, si puedes. Si te pones en contacto con asociaciones de traductores de donde vives, probablemente te podrán informar sobre cursos disponibles. Yo aprendí en la universidad y también con el “tutorial”, pero reconozco que el “tutorial” es bastante básico y que las clases fueron de mucha más ayuda.

Suerte,

Patricia

Collapse

Diana Marfogel
Diana Marfogel  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 16:26
Hebrew to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Gracias! Jun 28, 2002

Muchas gracias Patricia por tu respuesta tan completa.

Diana

David Daduč
David Daduč
Czech Republic
Local time: 15:26
English to Czech
Wordfast Jun 29, 2002

Hello,

I know I keep repeating myself in these discussion. However, I must recommend Wordfast as a great freeware CAT tool. It will teach you a lot for no charge. Later, you can decide if you need any other tool.

Just visit www.champollion.net

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wanting to establish relationships with agencies worldwide (+ how do I get familiar with CAT tools)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »