https://www.proz.com/forum/getting_established/336764-the_supplier_will_not_receive_payment_until_the_customer_has_approved_the_completed_services.html&phpv_redirected=1

The Supplier will not receive payment until the Customer has approved the completed Services
Thread poster: Max Jeremiah
Max Jeremiah
Max Jeremiah  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:00
German to English
+ ...
Aug 20, 2019

Hi everyone,

As a relatively newbie freelancer who's been trying to get more clients, I've been offered some work. However, I'm a bit wary of the payment terms, particularly the one about not receiving payment until the end client approves the services. It seems like they might not pay, simply claiming that the customer hasn't approved the services yet.

They also say not to send an invoice to them as they automatically generate them. Is this a common procedure? Or does
... See more
Hi everyone,

As a relatively newbie freelancer who's been trying to get more clients, I've been offered some work. However, I'm a bit wary of the payment terms, particularly the one about not receiving payment until the end client approves the services. It seems like they might not pay, simply claiming that the customer hasn't approved the services yet.

They also say not to send an invoice to them as they automatically generate them. Is this a common procedure? Or does this ring alarm bells for you?
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 18:00
Spanish to English
+ ...
Alarm bells Aug 20, 2019

I work on a basis of trust. If my clients don't trust me from the outset, I'd rather they weren't my clients. Your situation sounds well dodgy. And the bit about "not to send an invoice to them as they automatically generate them" is a first for me. Iffy, iffy, iffy.

[Edited at 2019-08-20 10:00 GMT]

Philippe Etienne
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
JPMedicalTrans
Adam Warren
VĂ©ronique Guider

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
End-customer approval can takes ages Aug 20, 2019

I've already seen such a clause with a prospect (among other one-sided terms). That's a deal breaker for me: without explicit payment terms, I'd run into fights with them sooner than later. Imagine if the work is split into different bits for different translators, and one of them makes a mess. Or several languages. Or for whatever reason, the client never approves/pays the job, although you know your delivery is not involved in the rejection.
And I have other things to do than contact the
... See more
I've already seen such a clause with a prospect (among other one-sided terms). That's a deal breaker for me: without explicit payment terms, I'd run into fights with them sooner than later. Imagine if the work is split into different bits for different translators, and one of them makes a mess. Or several languages. Or for whatever reason, the client never approves/pays the job, although you know your delivery is not involved in the rejection.
And I have other things to do than contact the client every week to ask about whether translations were approved.

Invoices they generate themselves are for their own business, and it's not a time-saving favour: you likely have to also issue your own invoices for fiscal purposes anyway. As for the agency, I wonder how they justify their expenses to fill in their income returns.

Philippe
Collapse

Agnes Fatrai
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
JPMedicalTrans
IrinaN
Thomas T. Frost
Dan Lucas
Adam Warren

James Hodges
James Hodges  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 01:00
Japanese to English
Steer Clear Aug 21, 2019

Sounds like a very convenient excuse not to pay you for your labor. Freelance translation is hard enough as it is with such hassle. I would encourage you to find other clients who will actually appreciate the work you do.

Angie Garbarino
Adam Warren

Max Jeremiah
Max Jeremiah  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:00
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Aug 21, 2019

Thanks for the help, really appreciate it. I've told them I can't accept their payment terms. Glad to be justified in my suspicions!

Adam Warren

Adam Warren
Adam Warren  Identity Verified
France
Member (2005)
French to English
Retain control Aug 21, 2019

I simply have ceased working, or don't contract, with clients who impose "electronic invoicing" or otherwise wrest control from the practitioner. It's wise, as you have done, to seek advice from your colleagues, when confronted with terms so heavily weighted against you. And wise those colleagues have proved.

Eva Stoppa
Eva Stoppa  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
How can you check? Aug 21, 2019

You are right about your suspicions. Just for the fun of it, I would ask this potential Client what possibilities they will give you to check if their Client has approved the Translation. You probably won't hear back from them.

Daryo

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The Supplier will not receive payment until the Customer has approved the completed Services

Translation news

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »