Virginia Jampen
Virginia Jampen
Poland
Local time: 11:34
English to German
+ ...
Apr 11, 2018

Hello everyone,

I am quite new to all this and I am probably asking a question you all already heard a 1000 times...

Do I get into troubles when I use a scientific text I wrote myself (it was a research mandate, where I was the head researcher) as a source text for a sample in my portfolio? Do I have to ask the organisation who entrusted me with the mandate for permission?

And is it ok to use Wikipedia texts as source texts for samples?

Thank y
... See more
Hello everyone,

I am quite new to all this and I am probably asking a question you all already heard a 1000 times...

Do I get into troubles when I use a scientific text I wrote myself (it was a research mandate, where I was the head researcher) as a source text for a sample in my portfolio? Do I have to ask the organisation who entrusted me with the mandate for permission?

And is it ok to use Wikipedia texts as source texts for samples?

Thank you for your help.

Kind regards,
Virginia
Collapse

Natalia Chetvernina (X)
Natalia Chetvernina (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:34
Russian to English
+ ...
Great question May 19, 2018

I'm a newbie myself and just want to say this is a great question - I hope someone provides some feedback on sample translations for beginners in general.

[Edited at 2018-05-19 19:29 GMT]

Santiago Bergamini
Santiago Bergamini
Argentina
Local time: 07:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
Copyright issues Jun 1, 2018

Hi, there! I'm also new and I've been doing a lot of research. I suggest looking for "creative commons content". CCC is free content you can perfectly use for your portfolio. Wikipedia content is CCC, so use it! You can also translate Wikipedia content within that platform.

I also suggest contacting professionals in the field (science, as you mentioned) and ask for extracts of their publications obviously asking for permission to publish them and making sure you quote them. You may
... See more
Hi, there! I'm also new and I've been doing a lot of research. I suggest looking for "creative commons content". CCC is free content you can perfectly use for your portfolio. Wikipedia content is CCC, so use it! You can also translate Wikipedia content within that platform.

I also suggest contacting professionals in the field (science, as you mentioned) and ask for extracts of their publications obviously asking for permission to publish them and making sure you quote them. You may want to contact local professionals (better if you already know them). This can help you get future job opportunities from them, why not?

Best of luck!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Copyright issues for samples in portfolio

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »