Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9] >
Reflections on 2017, my first $US 100,000+ year from translation
Thread poster: Dylan J Hartmann
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Reply to a hidden post.
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Reply to a hidden post.
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:58
Spanish to English
+ ...
I assume ... Jan 29, 2018

... he was thinking along the lines of "for richer, for poorer".

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:58
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Confusion, confusion... Jan 29, 2018

everybody has a certain interpretation of marriage and what their duties are... in DJ's wife's shoes, I would have found rather difficult to deal with a "non-husband"... money isn't everything... I hope this explains it, at least my POW...

Hamish Young
Hamish Young  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 19:58
Chinese to English
Buying a house on translator's income Jan 31, 2018

Great post DJ!

I have shared many of your experiences. One thing that interested me particularly was the buying a house aspect. Not sure if you have actually given up there but judging from my experience it is perfectly possible to do this as a freelance translator.

I moved back to China for a couple of years to save up money for a house in Auckland. I returned home with a substantial sum of cash for as deposit but ran into a similar problem as you - I had no proof of
... See more
Great post DJ!

I have shared many of your experiences. One thing that interested me particularly was the buying a house aspect. Not sure if you have actually given up there but judging from my experience it is perfectly possible to do this as a freelance translator.

I moved back to China for a couple of years to save up money for a house in Auckland. I returned home with a substantial sum of cash for as deposit but ran into a similar problem as you - I had no proof of regular income. None of the regular banks would touch us but I did manage to get a 'low-doc' loan with a "2nd tier lender", which came at a high interest rate but got us started in a small house. A few years later we moved to a new house and I was able to show the banks two years worth of IRD documents that proved beyond doubt that I did have an income that was both regular and healthy. By this time we had also built up quite a bit of equity, and now the banks were falling over themselves to give us a loan.

Not sure if it works differently in Australia, but certainly I found here that banks will deviate from their official policies if you give them enough reason to.
Collapse

Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Tax Returns Jan 31, 2018

Hamish Young wrote:

Not sure if it works differently in Australia, but certainly I found here that banks will deviate from their official policies if you give them enough reason to.

It all comes down to tax return statements here. Even though I could provide years of Thai bank statements, I need to provide an Australian tax return. As we just returned last year, still haven’t stayed a full tax year and am readying myself for the big bill.

However, still wondering if it’d be worth it. We’re in a suburb where 3 bedroom houses are all over $A1.3 million. I’m only paying $A26,000/year to rent and my office is downstairs. We picked a suburb based on the public school for our kids (best in state) and proximity to the city. If we were able to buy a house, we couldn’t afford here and we’d surely have to send them to private schools instead, costing an extra $A20,000+/year.

I will keep putting the extra $$ aside and may one day have enough!

Juheui Han
Juheui Han
South Korea
Local time: 16:58
Member (2017)
English to Korean
+ ...
Congratulation!:) Feb 1, 2018

Great, I hope to write something successful story like you in here.
Thanks for sharing your story:)

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Reflections on 2017, my first $US 100,000+ year from translation

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »