Eleonora_P  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 18:08
Member (2012)
English to Italian
+ ...
Dec 5, 2017

Hi fellow translators!

I need your kind help. I've been thinking about having my own website to promote my activity as a translator. I am creating contents, web pages and so on, but the name is really starting to be the painful part.
I came out with a couple of names I liked in the last few months, but at one point all of them seemed to be not available for different reasons (one was available but got registered in the meantime, another one was similar to other websites, etc).
... See more
Hi fellow translators!

I need your kind help. I've been thinking about having my own website to promote my activity as a translator. I am creating contents, web pages and so on, but the name is really starting to be the painful part.
I came out with a couple of names I liked in the last few months, but at one point all of them seemed to be not available for different reasons (one was available but got registered in the meantime, another one was similar to other websites, etc). I decided to go for a new one today which is not registered yet, BUT the same name is already used for a wordpress website (and guess what? It's an EN>IT translator's website, to make it worse!)
It's so frustrating. I have no ideas. Would you mind helping me with a nice name?
My language pair is EN>IT, the domain will be a .com one and I would like to have a name immediately relating to "translations/translator/English/Italian". An acronym or something short would also be ok, maybe even better.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thank you for your help,

Eleonora
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:08
Danish to English
+ ...
Idea Dec 5, 2017

transitaliano.com
transinglese.com
inglesITrans.com
dolcevITrans.com
trad-ing.com

are available.

[Edited at 2017-12-06 02:13 GMT]

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
English to German
In memoriam
How's that: Dec 6, 2017

hello2ciao.com

Dahae Kim
Dahae Kim  Identity Verified
South Korea
Local time: 01:08
English to Korean
+ ...
How about Dec 6, 2017

transciao.com

Christian christian@nielsen-palacios.com
Christian [email protected]
United States
Local time: 12:08
English to Spanish
+ ...
en-it.com Dec 6, 2017

?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Why .com? Dec 6, 2017

Eleonora_P wrote:
My language pair is EN>IT, the domain will be a .com one and I would like to have a name immediately relating to "translations/translator/English/Italian".

Why not a .it name? Like eleonoratrad.it (and get eleonoratrans.it as well, while you're at it), for example?

Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Easy to find Dec 6, 2017

If your last name is reasonably easy to spell, why not just put it and "translator" together?

puccinitranslator.com / puccinitraduction.it [or: puccinitraduttrice.it]

That will help people looking for you find you and help them remember your address.

Don't be creative, be helpful.

In 2017, in a major language pair, the greatest domain name in the world is not going to bring you any useful traffic if you are a generalist. You can't compete with
... See more
If your last name is reasonably easy to spell, why not just put it and "translator" together?

puccinitranslator.com / puccinitraduction.it [or: puccinitraduttrice.it]

That will help people looking for you find you and help them remember your address.

Don't be creative, be helpful.

In 2017, in a major language pair, the greatest domain name in the world is not going to bring you any useful traffic if you are a generalist. You can't compete with agencies on SEO and no one is going to say: "transciao" or "hello2ciao" or "transitaliano" - I love it! I need her for this project.
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Actually Dec 6, 2017

"hello2ciao" - I love it! I need her for this project.

Michael Wetzel
Germany
German to English
It's decided. Dec 6, 2017

Dahae's suggestion generated its first potential client in under 7 hours.

If we assume one potential client per 8 hours (the math is too difficult for me if we assume one client per 7 hours), that's 3 clients per day, 21 clients per week, 84-93 clients per month and 1095-1098 per year.

I stand corrected: You should definitely use hello2ciao. What was I thinking, questioning the power of advertising?

Eleonora_P
Eleonora_P  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2012)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all Dec 6, 2017

Thank you all for your comments and ideas!
There have been some interesting inputs. As far as I'm concerned, I would like to avoid the term "trans" in my domain because of obviously imaginable reasons (the first thing that would come into an Italian's mind by reading "trans" is a whole different concept... ) and also would prefer something with an immediate impact.
The fact that I said my pair would be EN>IT was
... See more
There have been some interesting inputs. As far as I'm concerned, I would like to avoid the term "trans" in my domain because of obviously imaginable reasons (the first thing that would come into an Italian's mind by reading "trans" is a whole different concept... ) and also would prefer something with an immediate impact.
The fact that I said my pair would be EN>IT was just an indication, but I don't think I would like to stay stick to this also in my domain. What if, one day, I will decide to add also another source language?
Furthermore, I'd prefer not to use my surname in my domain, but would go for an "agency style" name instead.
Collapse

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
English to German
In memoriam
Please explain Dec 6, 2017

Michael Wetzel wrote:

Dahae's suggestion generated its first potential client in under 7 hours.

If we assume one potential client per 8 hours (the math is too difficult for me if we assume one client per 7 hours), that's 3 clients per day, 21 clients per week, 84-93 clients per month and 1095-1098 per year.

I stand corrected: You should definitely use hello2ciao. What was I thinking, questioning the power of advertising?

Hey Michael, your posting is somewhat puzzling for me. How exactly did Dahae's suggestion generate its first potential client?

Edit: Oh, I think I get it now, it seems you just mixed up the posters.

Anyway, I would like to add that creative solutions have other advantages than SEO-optimized solutions. And do you really think that you can compete with big agencies in SEO optimization? This will only work if you have a small niche, for example translating English cooking recipes to Italian. Then you can use something like english-italian-cooking-translator.com and will be on top of searches in this particular niche (but even then, a shorter primary domain name for practical purposes would make much sense, and the SEO-optimized domain would only be a redirector).
On the other hand, a creative name is a much better handle once a potential client has found you. It is much easier to remember and to search or enter directly, and it is a way to stand out from the crowd. It might even make you look smarter (and more creative) than others. And you can still do a lot of SEO within your web pages.

[Edited at 2017-12-06 11:04 GMT]

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Your goalposts are sort of moving Dec 6, 2017

Original brief:

'I would like to have a name immediately relating to "translations/translator/English/Italian"'

Update:

'I would like to avoid the term "trans" in my domain'

'The fact that I said my pair would be EN>IT was just an indication, but I don't think I would like to stay stick to this also in my domain.'

That doesn't leave much of the original brief in place....
See more
Original brief:

'I would like to have a name immediately relating to "translations/translator/English/Italian"'

Update:

'I would like to avoid the term "trans" in my domain'

'The fact that I said my pair would be EN>IT was just an indication, but I don't think I would like to stay stick to this also in my domain.'

That doesn't leave much of the original brief in place.

Anyway, my own suggestions can use trad instead of trans, which I presumed your potential clients would be mature enough to see without making silly associations, but that's your choice.

traditaliano.com
tradinglese.com
inglesITrad.com
dolcevITrad.com
trad-ing.com

are available.

All these names and all the other suggestions until now are 'anonymous', though. I.e. there is nothing in them that relates the domain name to you. A domain name alone is not going to get you any work, but a good name can help your clients remember you. My own domain name is just like Michael's suggestion, by the way.
Collapse

Michael Wetzel
Germany
German to English
Sorry, Kay-Viktor. Dec 6, 2017

I was careless. "hello2ciao.com" was, in fact, your suggestion.

Your post also came 8 hours and 39 minutes before Chris's, so it's important to shave 8.125% off all my estimates. It think the total number of clients in non-leap years would actually be closer to 1013.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:08
English to Spanish
+ ...
Why not your surname? Dec 7, 2017

Eleonora_P wrote:

The fact that I said my pair would be EN>IT was just an indication, but I don't think I would like to stay stick to this also in my domain. What if, one day, I will decide to add also another source language?
Furthermore, I'd prefer not to use my surname in my domain, but would go for an "agency style" name instead.

If your surname were Smith or Jones, the website's name, www.jonestranslations.com would stand out, even if the surname is very popular or widely used.

Perhaps you've read or heard things about personal branding from some marketing-oriented translators and translation bloggers? Well, just ignore them. What's the most distinctive thing about your persona? Your name. Your language.

Have you considered Italian puns? Having been raised in Argentina, some Italian-sounding phrases became part of everybody's repertoire: porca miseria and Mamma mia! are just two examples.

I wouldn't worry about finding the be-all and end-all website name, since websites have a short lifetime. There are bigger, richer websites that were well established in the early noughts. Now they're gone. I would stay away from acronyms or cryptic letter combinations. You want to be found easily because there's a lot of competition. Another consideration is: who do you want to find your website? An Italian-speaking client? An English-speaking client? A bilingual Human Resources person? You'll have to focus who you want to talk to, and that will also help guide your content.

In the end, the website name is one you must choose, not pick from a list.

Inga Petkelyte
Inga Petkelyte  Identity Verified
Portugal
Lithuanian to Portuguese
+ ...
Who is your target market? Dec 7, 2017

You can't be everything for all. That's the most basic marketing rule, time- and space-proof.
So it's better to decide whom you want to be found by. And then decide whether it's -trans- or not.
I loved Samuel's suggestions, sounds boutique service provider.
If you want to avoid your name, what about your location+translations?
All those ciao things - sorry, I would be convinced it's a dating site.

[Edited at 2017-12-07 21:07 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Website name

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »