what to include in job application message? (+replying to a posting in same or another language?)
Thread poster: Marco Dozzi
Marco Dozzi
Marco Dozzi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:54
German to English
+ ...
Apr 19, 2016

Hi everyone,

I'm new to freelance translation and am trying to get myself established. I was just wondering if anyone had tips for what to include in the body of the message that one sends in response to a job posting. Until now, in these messages, I've been citing the fact that I'm relatively new to translation and am willing to work for low rates...I also qualify that, however, by adding that I have high confidence in the quality of my translations and have already received very
... See more
Hi everyone,

I'm new to freelance translation and am trying to get myself established. I was just wondering if anyone had tips for what to include in the body of the message that one sends in response to a job posting. Until now, in these messages, I've been citing the fact that I'm relatively new to translation and am willing to work for low rates...I also qualify that, however, by adding that I have high confidence in the quality of my translations and have already received very positive feedback for the few professional translations that I've done. Would it be better not to mention that I'm new? Any other things I might include?

I'm also wondering if it's considered OK to reply to job postings in a language other than the one they are posted in. More specifically, until now I have been typing my messages in English, even if the language of the posting is something else. My reasoning is that I don't have to prove I can write well in another language, only that I can translate it well, and given that English is my first language I'm naturally much more confident in my ability to write well in English than any other language.

Thanks!
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:54
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Too much information? Apr 19, 2016

Marco Dozzi wrote:
I've been citing the fact that I'm relatively new to translation and am willing to work for low rates...I also qualify that, however, by adding that I have high confidence in the quality of my translations and have already received very positive feedback for the few professional translations that I've done.

I've had a look at your About me text here on ProZ.com and it's really well-written - very positive. I've had a look at your CV too, and there you fall into the same trap as in your quotes, in my honest opinion. You're giving clients everything - your full life history - when they would be far better off getting the potted version, on a "need to know" basis. When reading your CV, clients with any idea of the world will be well aware that 99% of page two of your CV is just padding - of no relevance to them and their needs. It's the same with the quotes. Tell them what they want and need to hear, as long as it's the truth, and leave it at that. You haven't signed up to "the whole truth".

until now I have been typing my messages in English, even if the language of the posting is something else. My reasoning is that I don't have to prove I can write well in another language, only that I can translate it well, and given that English is my first language I'm naturally much more confident in my ability to write well in English than any other language.

And what if your prospective client doesn't communicate easily in English? Is that maybe why he or she wrote it in another language? If our clients could communicate equally well in both languages, they wouldn't need a translator, would they? Of course, maybe you're talking exclusively to agency PMs, and in that case they probably do understand English and they might well have been sounding you out, but that isn't always the case. I would have thought it was the height of impoliteness to reply in a different language. We always have to do what our clients are most happy with - the client is king in that respect (even if he or she is not always right).

On a personal note, I collaborate with a Bulgarian agency, doing monolingual editing of copy written by Bulgarians in English. However, for reasons I won't go into, the agency owner/PM prefers to communicate in French most of the time although he does speak English. Actually, maybe he'd prefer Bulgarian - but I wouldn't! I'd rather do it all in English as it can get complicated explaining English grammatical errors in French, but French is what the client ordered. Fortunately, when there was a major panic and I had to send a file at 3am, after working solidly from 9am, he accepted English quite happily. I was far too bushed to think in French.

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
No way! Apr 19, 2016

You should never admit that you're new to translation and willing to work for low rates. Low rates imply low quality. Play up the positives instead!

It's OK to write in English. I do so almost every day, even when customers write to me in other languages. English is the international lingua franca, and they usually write my language better than I do theirs.

I agree with Sheila about page 2 of your résumé. Though I'm very impressed by that marathon time...
See more
You should never admit that you're new to translation and willing to work for low rates. Low rates imply low quality. Play up the positives instead!

It's OK to write in English. I do so almost every day, even when customers write to me in other languages. English is the international lingua franca, and they usually write my language better than I do theirs.

I agree with Sheila about page 2 of your résumé. Though I'm very impressed by that marathon time

[Edited at 2016-04-19 16:54 GMT]
Collapse

Marco Dozzi
Marco Dozzi  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
many thanks! Apr 19, 2016

Thank you, Sheila and Phil. Your responses basically confirm my worst suspicions! I've deleted the second page of the CV and will respond to job postings in the language they are written in from now on.

Romina Navarro
Romina Navarro
Spain
English to Spanish
NEVER offer to work for low rates! Apr 21, 2016

Even though you have little experience, do not give away your work and knowledges just to get the job. You're throwing yourself to the trap of the low bidders.

Can you imagine an agency telling their clients that the translations they provide are done by inexperienced translators? NO WAY. Just check their websites. They will always offer the "best-quality-by-super-qualified-experienced-bling-bling-professionals" translations, and will charge them accordingly, keeping the best part o
... See more
Even though you have little experience, do not give away your work and knowledges just to get the job. You're throwing yourself to the trap of the low bidders.

Can you imagine an agency telling their clients that the translations they provide are done by inexperienced translators? NO WAY. Just check their websites. They will always offer the "best-quality-by-super-qualified-experienced-bling-bling-professionals" translations, and will charge them accordingly, keeping the best part of the earnings for themselves.

It is difficult to get a first experience charging decent rates, I know. But in the long run being a low bidder will be harmful for your colleagues and also for your own professional future.

Be active and patient, no one gets established in a few days. Sometimes it can take years.

Meanwhile, try doing a specialization in the areas you like most so you can stand out, improve your marketing skills and your Resume, do some voluntary translations for an NGO you like and really know will use the translations for a good purpose (beware of some scammers and agencies 'disguised' as NGOs to get free translations!), create your own website, and/or a blog if you like writing and sharing information.

Good luck!

[Edited at 2016-04-21 17:50 GMT]
Collapse

Helena Chavarria
Helena Chavarria  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:54
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I only work with CAT, ES and EN Apr 21, 2016

and I'm quite happy to write in either Spanish or English, which seems to keep my clients happy. I think it also demonstrates my level of Spanish.

However, I would never admit to being inexperienced. How would you feel if you took your car to the garage and the mechanic told you they were new to the job?

Here's another example:

I've had problems with my teeth ever since I was a child and I've now reached the stage when I need a couple of dental implants<
... See more
and I'm quite happy to write in either Spanish or English, which seems to keep my clients happy. I think it also demonstrates my level of Spanish.

However, I would never admit to being inexperienced. How would you feel if you took your car to the garage and the mechanic told you they were new to the job?

Here's another example:

I've had problems with my teeth ever since I was a child and I've now reached the stage when I need a couple of dental implants

It's bad enough having to pay for the treatment but I know that if my dentist had told me that he didn't have much experience fitting implants, I would have definitely gone somewhere else!

[Edited at 2016-04-21 18:49 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-04-21 19:58 GMT]
Collapse

Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:54
German to English
I have occasionally outsourced through the Job Board Apr 21, 2016

Keep it short and have a prepared text ready to go in order to avoid careless mistakes.

Use that as your basis, but respond to what they are actually looking for in a meaningful way (genuinely relevant past projects, education, work experience, etc.). If the potential client does not have a clear idea of what they want and you do not fit that profile, then it is probably not worth taking the time to make an offer.

I would always respond in the language of the request f
... See more
Keep it short and have a prepared text ready to go in order to avoid careless mistakes.

Use that as your basis, but respond to what they are actually looking for in a meaningful way (genuinely relevant past projects, education, work experience, etc.). If the potential client does not have a clear idea of what they want and you do not fit that profile, then it is probably not worth taking the time to make an offer.

I would always respond in the language of the request for offers and I think this is important to a lot of clients. However, it is possible to be a very good translator without having very good active skills in your source language(s), so be realistic: If you don't think a source-language offer will make a good impression, then don't do it. A lot of people can't even put a halfway convincing offer together in their target language, so things could be worse.

Do not tell the client reasons why they should not hire you. Personally, I am generally a soft-seller and that has its place, but not on the job board.
Collapse

Lynda Tharratt
Lynda Tharratt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Selling yourself Apr 21, 2016

The comments you have received from the other translators are right on the money. You should never say that you are new, or offer low rates because of it. You have to sell yourself.

I'd like to add that what stood out about the title of your thread was that you said "job application message"; therein lies the problem. If you keep thinking of it as a "job application" to a company, then you won't be as successful as you could be in this business. And it IS a 'business' - your busine
... See more
The comments you have received from the other translators are right on the money. You should never say that you are new, or offer low rates because of it. You have to sell yourself.

I'd like to add that what stood out about the title of your thread was that you said "job application message"; therein lies the problem. If you keep thinking of it as a "job application" to a company, then you won't be as successful as you could be in this business. And it IS a 'business' - your business. You are not applying for a job, you are offering your professional services to an agency. Think like the CEO that you are and tell agencies what you can do for them. Promote your services, make them want you. It looks as though you have a lot to offer potential clients, you need to showcase this.

Good luck Marco from a fellow Canuck!
Collapse

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:54
German to English
+ ...
a thought on newness and rates Apr 22, 2016

When you are experienced, you will be able to translate a given document up to a given quality in 4 hours. When you are new, it may take you 8 hours to achieve the same quality. If you charge $200 for this work as an experienced translator, then you are earning $50/hour. If you charge $200 for this work as a novice, you are earning $25/hour because it takes you twice as long. Therefore charging the same per word fee as a novice makes sense.

Additionally, as a novice you may need
... See more
When you are experienced, you will be able to translate a given document up to a given quality in 4 hours. When you are new, it may take you 8 hours to achieve the same quality. If you charge $200 for this work as an experienced translator, then you are earning $50/hour. If you charge $200 for this work as a novice, you are earning $25/hour because it takes you twice as long. Therefore charging the same per word fee as a novice makes sense.

Additionally, as a novice you may need to hire an expert more often to proofread your work, which also becomes your "learning experience". This too eats into your profits. Keep your rates higher, but aim for high quality, while planning to give yourself ample time to reach that quality.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

what to include in job application message? (+replying to a posting in same or another language?)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »