https://www.proz.com/forum/getting_established/300091-getting_certified_as_a_translator_online.html&phpv_redirected=1

Getting certified as a translator online
Thread poster: Carla Martínez Quezada
Carla Martínez Quezada
Carla Martínez Quezada
United States
Local time: 03:54
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 27, 2016

Hi everyone,

I studied translation for one year more than 12 years ago, and now I have an M.A in TESOL/Applied Linguistics. I love translating, but I haven't tried to make the time to get certified. What could be the fastest/cost effective route to get a translation certificate? I'm currently teaching full time, which is why I was thinking of getting an online degree. I will most likely have time in the summer, if you know of any programs.

Thanks for your help,

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:54
Russian to English
+ ...
Hi, you don't need any certifications in the US, Mar 28, 2016

just credentials. There is no official certification for translators in the US. You could get ATA certified, or Proz certified, but there is nothing like a national certification, the way it is in Canada, for example.

The Misha
The Misha
Local time: 04:54
Russian to English
+ ...
Nor do you need credentials Mar 28, 2016

What you do need is being able to do the job and demonstrate it to your prospective client that you are. How you do it, is totally between you and the client. In this beautiful country of ours, translation (unlike interpretation, under some circumstances) is an unregulated business free from government meddling - as it should be.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Getting certified as a translator online

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »