Platinum membership in relation to KudoZ\'s points
Thread poster: ejprotran
ejprotran
ejprotran
Local time: 04:58
English to Japanese
May 25, 2002

First of all, I want to thank both the founder and staff of ProZ.com for building such a wonderful community for freelance translators. I wish I knew this website sooner.

I have just started using this website for building up my client basis as well as for learning from other experienced translators. Although it has been only a couple of days since I registered for ProZ.com, I believe that I have learned so many things that I couldn\'t learn otherwise.

... See more
First of all, I want to thank both the founder and staff of ProZ.com for building such a wonderful community for freelance translators. I wish I knew this website sooner.

I have just started using this website for building up my client basis as well as for learning from other experienced translators. Although it has been only a couple of days since I registered for ProZ.com, I believe that I have learned so many things that I couldn\'t learn otherwise.

For the past few days, I have been trying to answer as many KudoZ\'s questions as possible I could, hoping that I could contribute a bit of myself to my fellow translators. My first question here in this forum is when I should upgrade the status of my membership to Platinum with regard to KudoZ\'s points that are earned. Although I have extensive experience of translation, I\'m still quite new to this website as I said. Accordingly, my KudoZ\'s point is still zero in spite of the fact that I\'ve gotten many positive comments from peer reviews on most of my answers to KudoZ\'s questions.

My understanding for going Platinum is sort of making yourself more visible on this website as well as being able to take advantage of the services that it offers. If this is the case, would that be disadvantageous for me to advertise myself if somebody saw me who hadn\'t earned any KudoZ\'s points yet? In other words, would it really be the best time for me to be more visible in this website by upgrading my membership status? Should I wait to go Platinum until I got enough of KudoZ\'s points?

I\'d really appreciate if any of you could give me suggestions on how I could go about it.

Satoshi

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-05-27 22:45 ]
Collapse

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 21:58
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
KudoZ points is not all May 25, 2002

Dear Satoshi,

Go Platinum is my advice. As you say, it increases your visibility and offers enhanced services.

Zero KudoZ points is no indication at all that anyone is a bad or unexperienced translator, just as the opposite is not true about one having many points.

The important thing is that you\'ll be seen and that your CV, your credentials, your exams, your particular expertise are all shown on your p
... See more
Dear Satoshi,

Go Platinum is my advice. As you say, it increases your visibility and offers enhanced services.

Zero KudoZ points is no indication at all that anyone is a bad or unexperienced translator, just as the opposite is not true about one having many points.

The important thing is that you\'ll be seen and that your CV, your credentials, your exams, your particular expertise are all shown on your profile page, which I assume is http://www.proz.com/translator/34934 and that they seem convincing, which yours do.

Best regards and

Good Luck!

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-05-25 05:39 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-05-25 05:42 ]
Collapse

ejprotran
ejprotran
English to Japanese
TOPIC STARTER
More thoughts on this topic May 25, 2002

Hello Mats,

Thank you for your input, but I need to ask you some more questions on this topic as I\'ve noticed that you seem to have earned more than thousands of KudoZ\'s points so far. Those numbers just make me think if you have any motivations that drive you to keep coming back to this website to answer KudoZ\'s questions. Based on your tremendous contribution to the KudoZ\'s point system, then why would you choose to spend your time on answering those questions? Is it r
... See more
Hello Mats,

Thank you for your input, but I need to ask you some more questions on this topic as I\'ve noticed that you seem to have earned more than thousands of KudoZ\'s points so far. Those numbers just make me think if you have any motivations that drive you to keep coming back to this website to answer KudoZ\'s questions. Based on your tremendous contribution to the KudoZ\'s point system, then why would you choose to spend your time on answering those questions? Is it really worth answering KudoZ\'s questions to increase your client base?

Satoshi

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-05-27 22:48 ]
Collapse

Maya Jurt
Maya Jurt  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Depends what you want May 25, 2002

Hello Satoshi,

Going Platinum means you pay for your memebership.

Your bids will be placed before the ones from ordinary members.

A platinum member with a lot of Kudoz gets a better place on bids than a platinum member with little or now KudoZ.

The KudoZ you accumulate depend on how much time you spend answering questions. You probably need some time that members feel they know you for your expertise and therefore distribute the points to you. It also dep
... See more
Hello Satoshi,

Going Platinum means you pay for your memebership.

Your bids will be placed before the ones from ordinary members.

A platinum member with a lot of Kudoz gets a better place on bids than a platinum member with little or now KudoZ.

The KudoZ you accumulate depend on how much time you spend answering questions. You probably need some time that members feel they know you for your expertise and therefore distribute the points to you. It also depends who is asking (at least in my language pairs) People giving totally misleading aswers collect lots of points. It simply means the asker does not know his business. We are professionals, but not all of us.

Platinum allows you to contribute directly to the forum. You do not need to wait for clearance, your contribution appears immediately.

Getting decently paid jobs from proZ? I do not think so, but that is a personal opinion. People like proZ because it is a great meeting point, you can learn a lot from others and you may make friends. For jobs, most professionals look elsewhere.

Platinum or not? It\'s your decision.

Greatings and good luck

Maya
Collapse

Rick Henry
Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:58
Italian to English
+ ...
There are more reasons to answer kudoZ than for points... May 25, 2002

Santoshi,

My opinion in short...

kudoZ won\'t get you more clients. A high number of kudoZ will get you higher up on the list, but, really, I\'ve never gotten clients from the amount of kudoZ. I HAVE gotten clients from my profile page, and - here\'s the real reason you want to answer questions - referrals from other proZ members. When you\'re helpful to other people, they\'ll remember that, and recommend you for projects down the line.

Just my two cen
... See more
Santoshi,

My opinion in short...

kudoZ won\'t get you more clients. A high number of kudoZ will get you higher up on the list, but, really, I\'ve never gotten clients from the amount of kudoZ. I HAVE gotten clients from my profile page, and - here\'s the real reason you want to answer questions - referrals from other proZ members. When you\'re helpful to other people, they\'ll remember that, and recommend you for projects down the line.

Just my two cents.

R.

==

Quote:

On 2002-05-25 08:40, satnii wrote:

Is it really worth answering KudoZ\'s questions to increase your client base?

Satoshi

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-05-25 17:52 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-05-25 17:52 ]Collapse

ejprotran
ejprotran
English to Japanese
TOPIC STARTER
Good suggestions. May 26, 2002

Maya and Rick,

Thank you for giving me good suggestions on this topic. I\'m feeling better now. I have taken advices from both of you and Mats.

Satoshi

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
KudoZ is a blessing May 27, 2002

You wrote:

\"...then why would you choose to spend your time on answering those questions? Is it really worth answering KudoZ\'s questions to increase your client base?\"

For my, answering KudoZ is a most stimulating, challenging, educating, edifying, rewarding activitiy I can think of.

It has increased enormuously my linguistic perception ability

AND

it has paid off beautifully with an ever increasing stream of enquiries covarying wi
... See more
You wrote:

\"...then why would you choose to spend your time on answering those questions? Is it really worth answering KudoZ\'s questions to increase your client base?\"

For my, answering KudoZ is a most stimulating, challenging, educating, edifying, rewarding activitiy I can think of.

AND

it has paid off beautifully with an ever increasing stream of enquiries covarying with my KudoZ standing.

So, my advice is also: Become an active Kudoz\'er!

Mats

Collapse

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
I fully second that May 27, 2002

(except for the typo\'s )

Quote:

On 2002-05-27 08:27, MatsWiman wrote:

You wrote:

For my, answering KudoZ is a most stimulating, challenging, educating, edifying, rewarding act... See more
(except for the typo\'s )

Quote:

On 2002-05-27 08:27, MatsWiman wrote:

You wrote:

AND

it has paid off beautifully with an ever increasing stream of enquiries covarying with my KudoZ standing.

So, my advice is also: Become an active Kudoz\'er!

Mats

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-05-27 11:16 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-05-27 11:17 ]Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Platinum membership in relation to KudoZ\'s points

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »