Part-time distance learning qualification translation (less than 10 h per week)
Thread poster: Iseult Harrington
Iseult Harrington
Iseult Harrington  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:08
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 8, 2016

Sorry if this question has already been asked on another forum. I really want to do a post-graduate course (diploma/master) in translation by distance learning. I know that there are several reputable courses available at Portsmouth, Bristol, etc., but they require a minimum of 20 hours a week study time (according to the course personnel) that I just could not commit to in the near future, owing to family and work commitments, and I cannot see when my circumstances are going to change where I c... See more
Sorry if this question has already been asked on another forum. I really want to do a post-graduate course (diploma/master) in translation by distance learning. I know that there are several reputable courses available at Portsmouth, Bristol, etc., but they require a minimum of 20 hours a week study time (according to the course personnel) that I just could not commit to in the near future, owing to family and work commitments, and I cannot see when my circumstances are going to change where I could dedicate that much time. I already have 6 years' experience working as a full-time translator, both freelance and in-house, and wish to just now consolidate my knowledge, polish my skills and gain an official qualification.

So, basically my question is, does anyone know of any course that I could take that would require less than the standard workload (i.e. around 10-12 hours a week)?

Many thanks,

Is.
Collapse

Viktor Tyshchenko
Viktor Tyshchenko
United States
Local time: 20:08
Russian to English
What about a certification? Jan 14, 2016

Iseulth wrote:

Sorry if this question has already been asked on another forum. I really want to do a post-graduate course (diploma/master) in translation by distance learning. I know that there are several reputable courses available at Portsmouth, Bristol, etc., but they require a minimum of 20 hours a week study time (according to the course personnel) that I just could not commit to in the near future, owing to family and work commitments, and I cannot see when my circumstances are going to change where I could dedicate that much time. I already have 6 years' experience working as a full-time translator, both freelance and in-house, and wish to just now consolidate my knowledge, polish my skills and gain an official qualification.

So, basically my question is, does anyone know of any course that I could take that would require less than the standard workload (i.e. around 10-12 hours a week)?

Many thanks,

Is.

You can search for a translation certifications online, some of them are completed at your own pace online. Hopefuly that's an option for you.

Cecile T.
Cecile T.  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:08
English to French
IoLET Diploma in Translation Feb 16, 2016

IoLET Diploma in Translation with the University of London

First, apologies as I am a total beginner here but I know of some busy translators who have done the online IoLET Diploma (I am doing it too at the moment and find it exciting, and of course, challenging)... and no language studies ever! Which as a French person I find odd; French culture valuing academic or rather linguistic training and knowledge as essential if one is to become a translator or editor.

You can
... See more
IoLET Diploma in Translation with the University of London

First, apologies as I am a total beginner here but I know of some busy translators who have done the online IoLET Diploma (I am doing it too at the moment and find it exciting, and of course, challenging)... and no language studies ever! Which as a French person I find odd; French culture valuing academic or rather linguistic training and knowledge as essential if one is to become a translator or editor.

You can choose: either just the modules, just studies, or you also sit the final l exam which is once a year, includes each module, but the Exam costs as much as all the modules together, if I remember well as all the modules! Maybe if you are very good at the study, a tutor could write a reference for you? But then there might be some professional regulations that forbid that, I am not sure.

I am looking at doing the MA at Portsmouth next year, as I find myself quite confused with all the professional aspects of the job (how to find clients, CAT tools, marketing, namely) and would like some guidance and advice.

[Edited at 2016-02-16 12:56 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-02-16 12:56 GMT]
Collapse

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 02:08
French to English
my experience Feb 16, 2016

I was in much the same kind of situation as you a few years ago.

I did what the French call "validation des acquis par l'expérience" whereby I submitted a file of sample translations and an account of how I learned French and honed my translation skills, then I was excused just about 90% of the subjects normal students had to do to get a masters.

I made it clear to my partner that he would have to chip in with housework and cooking and stuff a whole lot more, I pause
... See more
I was in much the same kind of situation as you a few years ago.

I did what the French call "validation des acquis par l'expérience" whereby I submitted a file of sample translations and an account of how I learned French and honed my translation skills, then I was excused just about 90% of the subjects normal students had to do to get a masters.

I made it clear to my partner that he would have to chip in with housework and cooking and stuff a whole lot more, I paused my volunteer work and dressmaking for the duration,

and I breezed right through and got the best translation masters in France, with merit!

I attended a few workshops prior to submitting the file, in which it seemed that staff were out to discourage us, but I didn't let their pessimism get to me. I kept reminding myself that as a translator with 15 years' experience I was exactly the type of person who would be dispensed from lots of subjects. The other people attending the workshops were mostly secretaries who translated the odd letter now and again at work.

As the staff had warned, most of these attendees found they had to drop out before the end. Not because of the coursework or bad marks but because they already had too many commitments (children, work, partner...). My children were already old enough to put their dirty socks in the laundry basket, I still worked part-time (at an agency) because when I first started there the children were still small and I wanted to pick them up from school myself, rather than pay a child-minder. And I made sure my partner would be fully supportive before I committed to it. My boss said that as long as I did my hours, let everyone know when I was working, and kept up the same levels of productivity, I could do whatever I wanted.

So I would suggest you look to see whether a similar scheme works in Spain or the UK, and make sure of making it your top commitment for the duration if you don't want to waste your money.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Part-time distance learning qualification translation (less than 10 h per week)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »