https://www.proz.com/forum/getting_established/293852-sending_sample_translations_to_agencies.html&phpv_redirected=1

Sending sample translations to agencies
Thread poster: Neil Greenough (X)
Neil Greenough (X)
Neil Greenough (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:28
Spanish to English
Oct 27, 2015

Hi all.

I'm starting out as a new freelance translator. I have my CV all sorted and my covering letter to send out to agencies (on a cold call basis). I'm just wondering if people would recommend sending a short sample translation also?

Thanks

Tiziana Bottone
Tiziana Bottone  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:28
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
I don't send sample texts. Oct 28, 2015

Hi Neil,

I don't send sample texts. If an agency is interested in your profile probably will ask you to take a short test.
That's my experience.

Bye

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 04:28
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Put some samples in your profile portfolio Oct 28, 2015

You could put samples of different types of texts in your portfolio in your profile.

Let clients send you tests if they want to - I do them, and make an effort with them, but usually only 200-300 words.

That should be enough to show them how you handle one or two issues and whether you think about context and register, or whether you just go for it word for word.

Best of luck!

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
Why not? Oct 28, 2015

Not something I've ever done, but I can't see that it would hurt and it might help your case.

[Edited at 2015-10-28 21:33 GMT]

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Just give a link to them Oct 29, 2015

Even if you don't have your own website you can use one of the file storage systems to give you a sample that's available to whoever you choose to give the URL to. I use Dropbox.

Or why not just give the link to your profile here, where the samples are already available?

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
You MUST send a sample. Oct 29, 2015

Apart from your rate, it's the only thing any prospective customer should be interested in.

I used to run my own agency, and I got hundreds of emails and CVs from people looking for work. They told me things like they'd been on the school basketball team, but they almost never provided evidence that they were good at translating.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Sending sample translations to agencies

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »