Lorena Croci  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 06:19
English to Italian
No, only from English to Italian Oct 22, 2015

Tom in London wrote:

Lorena Croci wrote:

EvaVer wrote:

For a start, your chance is better with agencies where a computer manages most of the allocation - sending offers to all translators in the relevant language pair and field and the first one accepting the job (at the price offered, which is often not very good in such circunstances) gets it.

Hi,
I am just in this situation. I am quite new in this job and I am contacting many agencies. How do I recognize and agency with a computer manager?
I have made for an agency a test for every field of specialization. It is already passed a month and they are still under review.. I think they won't be neither read nor considered and it is not fair.

Are your test translations from Italian to English?

I do test translations only from English to Italian. But an angency wanted a test for every field of specialization (Medicine, Finance, Legal, GENERAL and so on)

They did answer me two days ago and I told me I passed one of the tests (made more than a month ago).

The fact is, I agree with Dani, who says it would be better to look for direct clients, but, for example, I am quite new in the game and I don't feel I am sufficiently confident in my abilities to work for a client without, for example, having a proofreader or a PM checking my job.

I am just trying to make some experience hoping, in a future (very close, I hope) to be confident and experienced enough for working by myself.

Andrea Halbritter
Andrea Halbritter  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:19
French to German
+ ...
Self confidence Oct 22, 2015

Sorry to be a bit rude, but if you are not confident enough in your abilities in order to work for direct customers, you should either improve your language skills, work in fields you really know, do something for your self confidence or not work at all as a translator.

Agencies also need people who are sure of what they are doing. You can not rely on a proofreader for that.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Passing translation tests and then never hearing from agencies again

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »