Cristiano Lima
Brazil
Local time: 16:42
Russian to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A sad reality Jul 23, 2015

Florencio Alonso wrote:

I feel your pain, but trying to impose minimum rates in an open, unregulated market is pointless. The law of supply and demand is simple and non-compromising: it's the market that defines your work's worth, not our own sense of justice or local cost of living.

I agree with everyone who's said that you're only option is to carve out your own niche market.

Perhaps you are right. I am now mostly working as a teacher of languages instead of picking up projects for ridiculous offers. I don't even think that I will renew my signature. Last year was not even bad, but this year is awful! People think that translators are the "banana boys".

Cristiano Lima
Cristiano Lima
Brazil
Local time: 16:42
Russian to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good point Jul 23, 2015

DJHartmann wrote:

....not in the sense of basement bottom prices, but in terms of reducing your cost of living. It's the only way to earn more while doing less, and is the only way they can afford such low prices (moving to a cheaper location is a good way to start). Once you're established as a reliable go-to for a few good clients, such poor-quality high-turnover jobs, as you mentioned, are just trivial.

My life cost is really low, I'm now moving to a cheaper location, I don't spend money with any surplus, the last time that I bought new clothes was last year when I was going to Russia, I needed winter clothes, I use public transportation, the last time that I went to a restaurant was two months ago... I have to pay only for my studies now.
Still, things are really hard. I'm now teaching languages to have some profit with them.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Time to establish anti-dumping policies

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »