What is a publisher?
Thread poster: Highlandling (X)
Highlandling (X)
Highlandling (X)
Norway
Local time: 16:57
Feb 18, 2015

I have plans for starting a translation agency. I have already set up a website (still working on the content), and have a marketing plan that should work just OK. But in preparation for this, I asked someone I translate for about how they attain costumers to their agency. He is not that good at communicating through English, but mentioned that it would be wise to get a publisher. I do not want to ask him further, so I thought I could ask the question here at this forum. What is a publisher Coul... See more
I have plans for starting a translation agency. I have already set up a website (still working on the content), and have a marketing plan that should work just OK. But in preparation for this, I asked someone I translate for about how they attain costumers to their agency. He is not that good at communicating through English, but mentioned that it would be wise to get a publisher. I do not want to ask him further, so I thought I could ask the question here at this forum. What is a publisher Could you give me examples of publisher? Is it even necessary at all?

[Edited at 2015-02-18 16:07 GMT]
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:57
German to English
Publicist? Feb 18, 2015

Your associate seems to be as clueless as you are. Is it possible that he/she means a publicist, someone who will handle advertising/public relations for your company?

You'd better figure out a way to pay such a person, if this is the case.

I have the feeling that you're in for a hard ride if you pursue this endeavor.

Margreet Mohle
Margreet Mohle  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2010)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Depends on type of translation Feb 18, 2015

I would think that the recommendation to get a publisher would be valid if you plan to translate books (novels or other). In other cases, I cannot see the relevance.

However, your friend may be referring to software? A desktop publishing software (e.g. Adobe) will be useful when working for end-clients (think marketing materials, manuals, etc.). Can't give you more advice, since I mostly work for agencies and don't have a DTP software. I've worked with it though when I did some in-h
... See more
I would think that the recommendation to get a publisher would be valid if you plan to translate books (novels or other). In other cases, I cannot see the relevance.

However, your friend may be referring to software? A desktop publishing software (e.g. Adobe) will be useful when working for end-clients (think marketing materials, manuals, etc.). Can't give you more advice, since I mostly work for agencies and don't have a DTP software. I've worked with it though when I did some in-house translation for a company and it's hard to produce materials destined to be printed without it, especially if they contain many graphics.

Just some ideas... Good luck with your start-up!
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:57
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
For website? Feb 18, 2015

Perhaps they were referring to the type of company that publishes your website and keeps tweaking it to keep it high in the SEO rankings etc.
(Apologies if the terminology is all wrong - I don't really speak IT)

Highlandling (X)
Highlandling (X)
Norway
TOPIC STARTER
Further information Feb 18, 2015

Thank you for all answers! The person I talked with said that I would need to search for a publisher, but that they would charge me. But if I got one, I could expect costumers. So this "publisher" is in some way supposed to help me attain costumers. It might be a SEO, but this agency does not have a website yet, so I doubt it.

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:57
Spanish to English
+ ...
Probably more like an agent Feb 18, 2015

I handle SEO for a few businesses and I generally go by "The SEO Ninja."

If all the publisher does is find clients for them, then it's probably just a marketing firm.

The Misha
The Misha
Russian to English
+ ...
Are you sure you are really ready to open an agency Feb 18, 2015

and start serving "costumers"? Somehow this thread doesn't make it altogether obvious.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
utgiver = host server? Feb 19, 2015

I don't speak much IT either, but could it be an utgiver in Norwegian?
(I have recently proofread a translation from Norwegian on security.)
As in
"Utgiveren kan ikke verifiseres. Er du sikker på at du vil kjøre denne programvaren?"

Host server?
Would that make more sense?

Utgiver = publisher in some cases, but perhaps not here...

[Edited at 2015-02-19 10:29 GMT]

Highlandling (X)
Highlandling (X)
Norway
TOPIC STARTER
It could be "utgiver", but... Feb 19, 2015

Yes, it could definitely be "utgiver", but as you say, I doubt it was what he meant in this case. From what I have got to know so far, I really do not need what he called a publisher. Thanks for all answers I got. It helped me a lot!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is a publisher?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »