Just getting started
Thread poster: Silvia_Sevil (X)
Silvia_Sevil (X)
Silvia_Sevil (X)
Mexico
Local time: 09:15
English to Spanish
Nov 8, 2014

Hello everyone, I am just getting started. Even though I did some translation and interpreting jobs in the past I really love English and want to pursue translation and interpretation as a new career. I've seen there are many softwares that I need to learn. In the meantime, I will use my brains and energy. I appreciate very much your help. Comments tips and ideas are more than welcome. Thank you

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 18:15
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Tips Nov 9, 2014

ProZ.com is definitely an excellent place to start. I recommend that you try to get familiar with all the menus and submenus in ProZ. This will pay off later. I believe translation software is rather optional. You can get into that much later in your cereer. Meanwhile, Microsoft Office is all you need. Of course, you need to have a CV/resume designed for translation and interpretation. This is important. Clients/employers will ask for your CV/resume first. You should try to polish that ... See more
ProZ.com is definitely an excellent place to start. I recommend that you try to get familiar with all the menus and submenus in ProZ. This will pay off later. I believe translation software is rather optional. You can get into that much later in your cereer. Meanwhile, Microsoft Office is all you need. Of course, you need to have a CV/resume designed for translation and interpretation. This is important. Clients/employers will ask for your CV/resume first. You should try to polish that CV/resume. There is a whole lot of information for doing that on the Internet. Good luck in your cereer as a translator and interpreter.Collapse

DLyons
DLyons  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 16:15
Spanish to English
+ ...
Good luck Nov 9, 2014

Small things can put off potential clients. You should have a native English speaker read the text in your ProZ profile - a few things need changing.

Sergei Tumanov
Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:15
English to Russian
+ ...
If you do not plan to hire an accountant Nov 9, 2014

to run your bookkeeping a good accounting software package willl be a big plus.
Many of us underestimate the necessity to have such accounting software before starting to translate on professional basis.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:15
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
What you need before your first client Nov 9, 2014

Above all, you need knowledge. You will never come across as a competent freelancer if you don't understand the job. Fortunately, one of our most essential skills is research, so you can learn while honing a vital skill.

Do you need a paid-for CAT tool? No. Do you need to know how a CAT works, why agencies ask for it? Yes. Train on a free one now; pay only when it will be worth the investment.

Sergei Tumanov wrote:

Maybe, but it depends on you country's requirements. You need to have a method, certainly, but Excel may be enough.

What you do need:
- A legal status in your country to work as self-employed (websites that imply you don't are so wrong).
- An invoice template that satisfies your country's needs.
- A professional-standard website/brochure/CV.
- Information on how to spot scammers, and how to avoid clients who will only bring you grief.

There may be more, but motivation and knowledge are the most important - and they're free!

Nicole Coesel
Nicole Coesel  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:15
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Silvia Nov 9, 2014

Please ask yourself if it is necessary/smart to provide all that personal info on your resume. Is it really essential all that info is out there for everyone to see, use or possibly abuse?

Generally speaking your country, location, e-mail address and a telephone number are more than enough. Additional info can always be provided by you when requested to do so.

The first thing someone is going to look for in your resume (at least someone looking to outsource work) is wha
... See more
Please ask yourself if it is necessary/smart to provide all that personal info on your resume. Is it really essential all that info is out there for everyone to see, use or possibly abuse?

Generally speaking your country, location, e-mail address and a telephone number are more than enough. Additional info can always be provided by you when requested to do so.

The first thing someone is going to look for in your resume (at least someone looking to outsource work) is what translation experience you have (years, fields, areas of expersise). I might have overlooked it, but did not find any such information.

100% English. Way to go, but please remember that is probably according to Mexican standards, not to the standards of an English speaking country.

Best of luck!

Nicole.
Collapse

Silvia_Sevil (X)
Silvia_Sevil (X)
Mexico
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot Nicole! Nov 9, 2014

I really appreciate your comment. Yes, I need to review and polish my resume. I am here to learn, and to perfect my knowledge so maybe It'd be a good idea to focus more on Spanish speaking countries...

Nicole Coesel wrote:

The first thing someone is going to look for in your resume (at least someone looking to outsource work) is what translation experience you have (years, fields, areas of expersise). I might have overlooked it, but did not find any such information.

100% English. Way to go, but please remember that is probably according to Mexican standards, not to the standards of an English speaking country.

Best of luck!

Nicole.

Silvia_Sevil (X)
Silvia_Sevil (X)
Mexico
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Very useful tips Nov 9, 2014

These are very good news I love research so I've been going through some of the topics you mention. Your feedback is most valuable, thank you!!

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Above all, you need knowledge. You will never come across as a competent freelancer if you don't understand the job. Fortunately, one of our most essential skills is research, so you can learn while honing a vital skill.

Do you need a paid-for CAT tool? No. Do you need to know how a CAT works, why agencies ask for it? Yes. Train on a free one now; pay only when it will be worth the investment.

Sergei Tumanov wrote:

Maybe, but it depends on you country's requirements. You need to have a method, certainly, but Excel may be enough.

What you do need:
- A legal status in your country to work as self-employed (websites that imply you don't are so wrong).
- An invoice template that satisfies your country's needs.
- A professional-standard website/brochure/CV.
- Information on how to spot scammers, and how to avoid clients who will only bring you grief.

There may be more, but motivation and knowledge are the most important - and they're free!

Silvia_Sevil (X)
Silvia_Sevil (X)
Mexico
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Nov 9, 2014

I certainly will, i made some changes already. Hope it reads better.
DLyons wrote:

Small things can put off potential clients. You should have a native English speaker read the text in your ProZ profile - a few things need changing.

Silvia_Sevil (X)
Silvia_Sevil (X)
Mexico
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
thank you! Nov 9, 2014

More good news, what a relief! I was nervous about the software. I really want to give a professional impression and do a good job. One step at a time. All these tips give me a bigger picture. I am excited! Thanks again.

ATIL KAYHAN wrote:

ProZ.com is definitely an excellent place to start. I recommend that you try to get familiar with all the menus and submenus in ProZ. This will pay off later. I believe translation software is rather optional. You can get into that much later in your cereer. Meanwhile, Microsoft Office is all you need. Of course, you need to have a CV/resume designed for translation and interpretation. This is important. Clients/employers will ask for your CV/resume first. You should try to polish that CV/resume. There is a whole lot of information for doing that on the Internet. Good luck in your cereer as a translator and interpreter.

Mary McKee
Mary McKee  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:15
Spanish to English
Reach out to translators offline Nov 10, 2014

Hi Silvia,

As a relatively new freelancer myself, I would suggest that you contact any other translators you can find in your area, attend conferences or events put on by any local organizations of translators in your country and build relationships and contacts offline as well as here on ProZ. Although this is a great community, it's a wonderful feeling to go to an event (here in the USA we have the American Translator's Association conference that just ended yesterday) and be surr
... See more
Hi Silvia,

As a relatively new freelancer myself, I would suggest that you contact any other translators you can find in your area, attend conferences or events put on by any local organizations of translators in your country and build relationships and contacts offline as well as here on ProZ. Although this is a great community, it's a wonderful feeling to go to an event (here in the USA we have the American Translator's Association conference that just ended yesterday) and be surrounded by others with the same passions as yourself. The information you can learn from other translators in person is invaluable!

Best,

Mary
Collapse

Silvia_Sevil (X)
Silvia_Sevil (X)
Mexico
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
great! Nov 10, 2014

Mary, thank you, it is a great idea. I'll involve more in the local business.

mdomseattle wrote:

Hi Silvia,

As a relatively new freelancer myself, I would suggest that you contact any other translators you can find in your area, attend conferences or events put on by any local organizations of translators in your country and build relationships and contacts offline as well as here on ProZ. Although this is a great community, it's a wonderful feeling to go to an event (here in the USA we have the American Translator's Association conference that just ended yesterday) and be surrounded by others with the same passions as yourself. The information you can learn from other translators in person is invaluable!

Best,

Mary

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Just getting started

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »