Thread poster: David Joyce
David Joyce
David Joyce  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:22
English to Irish
Oct 5, 2014

Hello Everyone,

I decided to start to translate again after teaching and I am confused on what a good English-Irish Per word/per hour rate is? Are the community rates here accurate?

Sincerely,

David

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:22
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@David Oct 5, 2014

David Joyce wrote:
I decided to start to translate again after teaching and I am confused on what a good English-Irish per word/per hour rate is. Are the community rates here accurate?

The community rates here reflect accurately what the translators here have indicated in their profiles. Whether they actually charge more or less than that can't be said.

Here's a 2011 survey from ITI (no Irish, though):
http://qmplus.qmul.ac.uk/pluginfile.php/1078/mod_resource/content/1/Rates%20and%20salaries%20survey%202011.pdf

Here's a summary of a 2013 survey (the rates are per five words):
http://www.translationtribulations.com/2013/03/its-2013-latest-bdu-rate-survey.html
(compare it with ProZ.com's community rates to see if they match up)

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:22
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Rates for "everyday" texts Oct 6, 2014

I suspect that to some extent the rate in your pair will be governed by whether there are many alternatives to your services. I'm guessing that there aren't that many professional translators in the pair and if that's the case then a client needing a highly important document translated may be prepared to pay quite a bit more than those figures. They'd be more for a general text that isn't too demanding.

Aideen Rodrigues
Aideen Rodrigues  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:22
French to English
+ ...
Ask Foras na Gaeilge? Oct 8, 2014

As Foras na Gaeilge give out a list of accredited Irish language translators, they might be able to give you some idea of what the going rate is.

Go néirí leat

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is a good English-Irish Rate

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »