Agronomist curriculum and cover letter: EN mothertongue suggestions needed
Thread poster: ngiulin83
ngiulin83
ngiulin83
Italy
Apr 18, 2014

Dear friends, my name is Angelo and I am an agronomist from Italy, I am sending since long time my CV to international recruiters, anyway I don't get so many good feedbacks, even if I have many technical working experinces.

So I thought that in my cover letter or in my CV there is something wrong...

Could you please help m
... See more
Dear friends, my name is Angelo and I am an agronomist from Italy, I am sending since long time my CV to international recruiters, anyway I don't get so many good feedbacks, even if I have many technical working experinces.

So I thought that in my cover letter or in my CV there is something wrong...

Could you please help me?

Here you can find my cv:
www.movimentiterraforcella.it/angelo/angelo.doc

Here you can find my cover letter:
www.movimentiterraforcella.it/angelo/motivationAngelo.pdf

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Angelo

[Edited at 2014-04-18 10:41 GMT]
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:48
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
My 2 cents Apr 21, 2014

I see you've had no response to this, Angelo, so I'll at least respond, even if it can't be a very positive one. I don't really think this is the place to come for advice as this isn't a language help community but a community for professional translators.

However, maybe the site is the place for you, even if this forum isn't it. My honest opinion is that you do need some help to draw up a really strong CV - the only issue is where to go for that help. You could place a job here on
... See more
I see you've had no response to this, Angelo, so I'll at least respond, even if it can't be a very positive one. I don't really think this is the place to come for advice as this isn't a language help community but a community for professional translators.

However, maybe the site is the place for you, even if this forum isn't it. My honest opinion is that you do need some help to draw up a really strong CV - the only issue is where to go for that help. You could place a job here on the job board. You need an English-native CV expert, possibly with Italian but that would be a more minor requirement. They do exist here - I'm one myself but I have massive IT problems at the moment so I'm even hard pushed just to reply to this post.

I can give you a few pointers for free though.
1) Think who you're sending the CV to; then think what these words are going to mean to them. Take out some of the minutiae of Italian life (a good example would be "Gran Sasso – Laga Park – LIFE + - Wildlife sampler – L'Aquila – Abruzzo Region" which simply isn't meaningful - to me, anyway) - simplify the CV so the reader gets the essential information, and no more.
2) Do you really need to use the Europass format? Even if a few companies insist on it, it's best to construct the very best CV you can, and then put that information into Europass format where necessary. I've had to use one in the past but I've always tried to send both.
3) Does the reader really need your age, sex, town of birth, passport number, ID card, signed and stamped attestation (a CV is not a legal document), ..., ... ? Maybe some/all is required in Italy, but it certainly isn't for the UK, for example.

It seems to me that you've taken enormous trouble to bring together everything in your life history. But you've virtually omitted the two most important things possible: the job you do (OK, you say "Agr. Eng." but why abbreviate that and spell out other unimportant information?); and the work you actually did, in terms of responsibilities, skills required and achievements.

I'm sorry if the above sounds very negative but in essence I'm agreeing that you need help. It's just that I don't think that simply fixing the English language deficiencies (and they certainly do exist) is going to get you the job you're looking for.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agronomist curriculum and cover letter: EN mothertongue suggestions needed

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »