Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Management plan for a translation company?
Thread poster: imtiaz rahman
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Site users are expected to treat each other with courtesy, as per site rule #2, http://www.proz.com/siterules/general/2#2
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Frankie JB
Frankie JB
France
English to French
+ ...
Book on becoming a LSP Apr 16, 2014

Hello Imtiaz,

I'm not in a position to provide you with practical insights as I'm a mere freelancer (for now) but I remember reading a book by Geoffrey Samuelsson-Brown on the particular topic a couple of years ago, i.e. "Managing Translation Services". Back then I didn't find it exceedingly interesting but I was still a student with a moderate interest in setting up a company - which doesn't mean it's not a good one.

Even though I can't elaborate on what's inside right
... See more
Hello Imtiaz,

I'm not in a position to provide you with practical insights as I'm a mere freelancer (for now) but I remember reading a book by Geoffrey Samuelsson-Brown on the particular topic a couple of years ago, i.e. "Managing Translation Services". Back then I didn't find it exceedingly interesting but I was still a student with a moderate interest in setting up a company - which doesn't mean it's not a good one.

Even though I can't elaborate on what's inside right now because I don't have it under my eyes, a quick glance at Amazon leads me to think that some chapters may quench your thirst for knowledge: 2) Organizational Development; 3) The Business Plan; 4) An Introduction to Quality Management; 5) Quality Procedures; 6) Work Instructions; 7) Managing Human Resources; 8) Customer Relations.

By the way, no offense but I happened to laugh, too, when I read your first posts and the ensuing answers; it really sounded like you had bought a car but realized afterwards that you didn't have the license to drive it...

Anyway, good luck in your endeavors
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:36
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Something is missing Apr 17, 2014

imtiaz rahman wrote:

all i was asking the responsibilities,

of accountant
marketer
secretary
& other staff members

So, besides having a nice manager title and a posh address established, you have staff in place to:

- handle all the incoming money (accountant)
- get new clients to make even more money ("marketer")
- take care of the administrative work to document all the incoming money (secretary)
- take care of miscellaneous tasks, maybe IT, catering, cleaning or to carry money to the bank (other staff)

My question is:

Who does the actual work?
Who will handle the accounts, who does the pre-sales evaluation, who does the commissioning of the projects, the scheduling, who takes care of the resource and the budget plan, who takes care of the communication with translators and clients, who does the groundwork such as project glossary preparation, text alignment and text preparation, who will evaluate and gather reference texts to assist the translation, who will line up editor/translator teams and who takes care of the quality assessment and the entire wind-up?

Until you have not yet clarified - or better: realized? - what your actual tasks and responsibilities as a translation agency will be in real life, the idea of running your own company seems a bit, erm, immature at this time. Agencies are paid for their work. Forwarding jobs to translators at lower rates than your own and taking the difference as your cut sounds easy, but has nothing to do with what a translation agency actually does.

Best regards,

Nicole

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Reply to a hidden post.
imtiaz rahman
imtiaz rahman
United Arab Emirates
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 17, 2014

Bundle of thanks to all members of proz.com for their valuable comments, actually i had worked in a construction company for about 4 years & i know the inside job in construction field, my plan was to compare the inside job b/w cont & translation company & at last i have reached to the conclusion through all your valuable replies. if their was any thing i would stuck at definitely i will post it & i am sure that i will get the same result in the future as well. once again bundle of thanks, if i ... See more
Bundle of thanks to all members of proz.com for their valuable comments, actually i had worked in a construction company for about 4 years & i know the inside job in construction field, my plan was to compare the inside job b/w cont & translation company & at last i have reached to the conclusion through all your valuable replies. if their was any thing i would stuck at definitely i will post it & i am sure that i will get the same result in the future as well. once again bundle of thanks, if i have comment something wrong so i apologize from the core of my heart.Collapse

Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:36
English to Spanish
Nice attitude Apr 17, 2014

imtiaz rahman wrote:

Bundle of thanks to all members of proz.com for their valuable comments, actually i had worked in a construction company for about 4 years & i know the inside job in construction field, my plan was to compare the inside job b/w cont & translation company & at last i have reached to the conclusion through all your valuable replies. if their was any thing i would stuck at definitely i will post it & i am sure that i will get the same result in the future as well. once again bundle of thanks, if i have comment something wrong so i apologize from the core of my heart.

You have a nice attitude, Imtiaz, and that, by itself, not only speaks highly of you, but it is a great asset in life.

I wish you the best of luck.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Management plan for a translation company?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »