KudoZ as a learning tool
Thread poster: Sara Freitas
Sara Freitas
Sara Freitas
France
Local time: 17:26
French to English
May 7, 2002

I am a \"junior\" translator starting out in France. I have been pleasantly suprised by the feeling of community and support among local freelancers in my community. I have also had the help of a very experienced translator in not only getting work, but improving the quality of my work...KudoZ was recommended to me both as a resource when I get stuck on a term but also as a chance to practice and learn by proposing answers. However, in the short time I\'ve been using KudoZ, I have been disappoin... See more
I am a \"junior\" translator starting out in France. I have been pleasantly suprised by the feeling of community and support among local freelancers in my community. I have also had the help of a very experienced translator in not only getting work, but improving the quality of my work...KudoZ was recommended to me both as a resource when I get stuck on a term but also as a chance to practice and learn by proposing answers. However, in the short time I\'ve been using KudoZ, I have been disappointed by the harshnes of some \"disagrees\". Maybe I am using KudoZ inappropriately...could someone please fill me in on proper KudoZ etiquette? Many thanks from someone just getting started...Collapse

Maria Knorr
Maria Knorr
Local time: 11:26
English
+ ...
Not all is bad May 7, 2002

I\'ve been hanging around Proz for a while now, and I came here for the same reason as you did. I agree some people are extemely harsh, rude and impolite in their comments but the majority of people are quite nice. They might not always agree with you answer but they will explain why that is.

I suggest you sticking around here for a while and giving Proz a chance. As for rude people, ignore them, they are not worth your time or your nerves.

Maria

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:26
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Sometimes... May 7, 2002

Hi and welcome on board

We had a couple of threads dealing with this issue last week and now all moderators have a new feature (extra work for them, but a couple of them were happy about that) allowing them to \"hide\" or \"cancel\" (I don\'t know exactly) \"unpleasant\" or personal comments. This doesn\'t solve the problem, but it is much better than seeing people behaving such aggressive way.

KudoZ etiqu
... See more
Hi and welcome on board

We had a couple of threads dealing with this issue last week and now all moderators have a new feature (extra work for them, but a couple of them were happy about that) allowing them to \"hide\" or \"cancel\" (I don\'t know exactly) \"unpleasant\" or personal comments. This doesn\'t solve the problem, but it is much better than seeing people behaving such aggressive way.

KudoZ etiquette is very clear, no personal comments, reality is sometimes different, but not a rule. A disagree is my very last resource I use only when I am 100% sure, otherwise I prefer to use a \"neutral\".... it is a personal choice and a personal approach...

Some subcommunities are more aggressive than other ones, I think it is proportonial to the number of participants... the smaller the room is the more nervous people are.

Anyone can overreact for once, nothing to worry about, but I wouldn\'t hesitate contacting my SCs moderators, if I felt someone is going farther than overreacting.

Enjoy ProZ.. it is a great opportunity, not only for beginners and you are right: the more active you are the better chances you have to learn.

Cheers,

Giuliana

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-05-07 18:25 ]
Collapse

Maya Jurt
Maya Jurt  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Bravissimo! May 7, 2002

Well said, Giuliana. So this function has been added. That was quick. And thanks, Henry.

Sara Freitas
Sara Freitas
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the clarification on KudoZ etiquette May 7, 2002

Thanks for the welcome and clarification. I hope to continue being active with KudoZ and improving my skills as I continue to work my \'day job\' while moonlighting as a translator...The moderators have an important role at setting and maintaining a positive tone on the site, and it seems reasonable that they have veto power on inappropriate submissions. Thanks again!

Rod Darby (X)
Rod Darby (X)  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 15:26
German to English
+ ...
Welcome from another newcomer! May 8, 2002

Hi Sara!

I\'m new around here, too, and was pretty surprised at the sharpness of some re-actions at first.

There are unfortunately some pretty weird people hanging about here, preening their egos. Another problem is wannabees trying to gain, well, kudos, if you\'ll excuse the word, and my experience is, the less they know, the more bitter their replies to criticism are. Some will blithely rush in where angels fear to tread, displaying their ignorance for all to see. Just igno
... See more
Hi Sara!

I\'m new around here, too, and was pretty surprised at the sharpness of some re-actions at first.

There are unfortunately some pretty weird people hanging about here, preening their egos. Another problem is wannabees trying to gain, well, kudos, if you\'ll excuse the word, and my experience is, the less they know, the more bitter their replies to criticism are. Some will blithely rush in where angels fear to tread, displaying their ignorance for all to see. Just ignore them, as others have said, and they will go away.

I use \'disagree\' sparingly, a \'neutral\' will often do just as well, but I\'m not planning to become a coward. I have found the best approach is to say what the \'bad\' translation actually translates back to in the source language. I do feel it is the duty of those who do know what they are doing to warn askers about the poor quality of some of the answers.

The upside is that there really are some brilliant translators on this site - I could name names, but you\'ll find them for yourself - and in such cases I am lavish with my praise. I believe that this way the regular askers will learn whom to trust (I actually backspaced to put that \'m\' in \'whom\'!) and whom to ignore.

I like ProZ, I like using it, and I like to help where I can: I\'m not planning to let any idiots spoil it for me!

Ok, that\'s my two cents worth: keep going Sara, more power to your elbow, and \"nil illegitime carborundum\", as they say.

Rod

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

KudoZ as a learning tool

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »