Eva Pividal
Eva Pividal  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:17
French to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 12, 2013

Hello,

My name is Eva, im fairly new in the professional translation field (about 6 years)--

I am translating a book about wines, the author is spanish but the book will have a european scope.

It is the first time I performe such a job, -gernerally i get to translate web sites and articles, etc..
While translating it I have had many doubts about the procedure, towards the author, the agency, myself...

My concerns, for example, start in
... See more
Hello,

My name is Eva, im fairly new in the professional translation field (about 6 years)--

I am translating a book about wines, the author is spanish but the book will have a european scope.

It is the first time I performe such a job, -gernerally i get to translate web sites and articles, etc..
While translating it I have had many doubts about the procedure, towards the author, the agency, myself...

My concerns, for example, start in the paying methods; i have concluded that i won't send the job untill I recieve a written statement saying when, who, how.... because i feel the girl from the agency is not very competent and does not provide enough info..

My second concern is about the recognition of my translation, i dont even know how to say it, I would like to have my name in that book, as the translator that I am, but i am afraid that instead, it will be the name of the agency...

Anyhow i would like to hear some experiences about this, and advises on how this should be managed from the beginning.. I felt quite unsafe

Many thanks in advance for your time!

Eva
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:17
German to English
Get a purchase order NOW Dec 12, 2013

Eva Pividal wrote:

My concerns, for example, start in the paying methods; i have concluded that i won't send the job untill I recieve a written statement saying when, who, how.... because i feel the girl from the agency is not very competent and does not provide enough info..

My second concern is about the recognition of my translation, i dont even know how to say it, I would like to have my name in that book, as the translator that I am, but i am afraid that instead, it will be the name of the agency...

Unless you've worked with a client several times before, ALWAYS get a statement in writing (purchase order) clearly stating the scope of the job, payment amount and method.

Do not proceed any further until you have these details clarified in writing.

Translator attribution is a separate issue. Agencies are rarely mentioned as the translators of a book, but unfortunately, neither are translators. You need to negotiate this separately.

Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
PEN model contract Dec 12, 2013

Hi Eva,

For starters, read the PEN model contract, to familiarize yourself with the normal working conditions when translating for publishers: http://www.pen.org/model-contract

And then enforce them.

You are embarking upon months of work. If you have any doubts that the normal working conditions are ensured, you should immediately stop and resume only when you ha
... See more
Hi Eva,

For starters, read the PEN model contract, to familiarize yourself with the normal working conditions when translating for publishers: http://www.pen.org/model-contract

And then enforce them.

You are embarking upon months of work. If you have any doubts that the normal working conditions are ensured, you should immediately stop and resume only when you have the appropriate guarantees.

If you proceed with the translation, you will just undermine your negotiation position. If you have a full manuscript ready, your may have only two choices: to keep it for yourself (and therefore admit that the hundreds of hours that you spent with it were in vain) or to accept the agency's terms. That's a lose-lose proposition. Do yourself a favor, and don't get into that situation. Even if it requires coming out of the comfort zone and putting pressure on the agency – rather than going on with the translation work that you may enjoy much more.

Best
Attila
Collapse

Eva Pividal
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Dec 12, 2013

Well thank you very much for these advises...

Clrearly i need to be more carefull from now onwards.

I will check this link, which I appreciate a lot!

Regarding the recognition, its clear now, I was pretty sure that the translator is not often mentioned, and I dont really mind about that, but i dont want another person to figure as the translator!

Thank you once again, for your time and interest! Im rellay thankfull that this kind of forums a
... See more
Well thank you very much for these advises...

Clrearly i need to be more carefull from now onwards.

I will check this link, which I appreciate a lot!

Regarding the recognition, its clear now, I was pretty sure that the translator is not often mentioned, and I dont really mind about that, but i dont want another person to figure as the translator!

Thank you once again, for your time and interest! Im rellay thankfull that this kind of forums are on,, the freelance world is not always the easiest path!

Have a great day,

Eva
Collapse

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Attribution Dec 12, 2013

Kevin Fulton wrote:

Agencies are rarely mentioned as the translators of a book, but unfortunately, neither are translators.

This has not been my experience. I've translated over 20 books, and the customer has almost always been happy to include a translator credit. The best thing to do is write it in the translation yourself and say "I hope you don't mind, but I've included a translator credit". If it's for an agency, put something like, "Translated by Eva Pividal in association with [agency name]."

Eva Pividal
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@philgoddard Dec 12, 2013

Thank you, philgoddard!

I find your suggestion very interesting!

I will write it myself!

Roel Verschueren
Roel Verschueren  Identity Verified
Austria
English to Dutch
+ ...
Attila is right Dec 12, 2013

use the
http://www.pen.org/model-contract
and you'll be safe.
If not,

become a member of PEN and let them help you. They will be happy to do so!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems Translating a book

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »