Mar Anton (X)
Mar Anton (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 14, 2013

Hello all,
An agency is asking me how many lines per day I can translate.
I usually translate 3500 words a day but lines....?
Any help?
Thanks.

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Words Oct 14, 2013

Just tell them you quote by words, period. Don't let people twist your arm. Lines and pages can be quite variable, although I know there is a line standard with German because it has many compound words; perhaps with other languages as well.

felicij
felicij  Identity Verified
German to Slovenian
+ ...
A line Oct 14, 2013

is approx. 10 words, so 350. I also suggest you quote rate per word.

Valery Shapovalenko
Valery Shapovalenko  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 19:34
English to Russian
+ ...
It greatly depends Oct 14, 2013

on page size format (Letter, Legal, A4), paper orientation etc. That's ridiculous!

Felicij and Henry are right - say them plain. And use your common sense.

Good luck.

Andrzej Mierzejewski
Andrzej Mierzejewski  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
You are free to specify in words. Oct 14, 2013

From the "good old times" of typewriters, I know a standard page containing 1800 signs (spaces included), divided in 30 lines of 60 signs each. That was a 'Geman standard'. At present, a standard page may include anything between 1125 up to even 2200 signs (the latter is rare but can be met), so be careful when you are asked to specify your price per page.

For the number of words an
... See more
From the "good old times" of typewriters, I know a standard page containing 1800 signs (spaces included), divided in 30 lines of 60 signs each. That was a 'Geman standard'. At present, a standard page may include anything between 1125 up to even 2200 signs (the latter is rare but can be met), so be careful when you are asked to specify your price per page.

For the number of words and lines, please read e.g.:
http://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/126748-equivalent_of_characters_including_spaces_in_words.html?float=true

As I recall, the ProZ forum contains more discussions for this topic. You'll also find dozens of texts regarding the 'standard page' from translation companies from all over the world.

As Henry Hinds wrote, you are free to specify your capacity in words per day. Your translation agent will be able to convert this figure to whatever they needs: lines, pages, characters, etc. Still, the conversion factors do depend on the language pair.
Collapse

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
I usually find Oct 15, 2013

that clients are quite happy to accept quotes on a per-word rather than per-line basis and do the conversion themselves.

Woodstock (X)
Woodstock (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
The line count is based Oct 15, 2013

Torao-O wrote:
on page size format (Letter, Legal, A4), paper orientation etc. That's ridiculous!

on a fixed number of characters with or without spaces, usually 55 chars including spaces. As such, only the amount of text is relevant, not the page format, orientation or anything else. The reason this counting method was done in Germany, Austria, and perhaps other countries is because - as someone points out above - German words can be extremely long because of the compound nouns. So it is not ridiculous, but very pragmatic. The advent of widespread CAT tools has changed that so that word counts are much more common, but some agencies still base their rates on the line count.

Mar Anton (X)
Mar Anton (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all! Oct 15, 2013

Thanks for your messages trying to help me. They did help. The problem was that I wasn´t talking or e-mailing a person but filling in one of those forms and "lines" was the only option.
Gracias,
Mar

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Lines per day?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »