Maaike van Vlijmen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:39
Member (2009)
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Cat Sep 9, 2013

Hi Jane, thank you so much for your tips! My main worry is the flight.. I worry he'll be very scared. I already tried a couple of calming medicines, but nothing has a major effect. I still have one option left, hopefully that will do the trick. I did a lot of reading on the internet, so I am well prepared, but still I worry - although I shouldn't, because he'll probably feel my tension!
I think it will go well. We just have to bite the bullet. I will be so glad when it's all over and we c
... See more
Hi Jane, thank you so much for your tips! My main worry is the flight.. I worry he'll be very scared. I already tried a couple of calming medicines, but nothing has a major effect. I still have one option left, hopefully that will do the trick. I did a lot of reading on the internet, so I am well prepared, but still I worry - although I shouldn't, because he'll probably feel my tension!
I think it will go well. We just have to bite the bullet. I will be so glad when it's all over and we can enjoy our new home!
Collapse

Astrid_H
Astrid_H  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:39
German to English
+ ...
Maybe slightly late Jan 8, 2014

Hello Maaike,

I hope you've settled in well and find Germany a good place to stay.

I know this thread is a few months old, but I'd like to add something regarding health insurance:

If you have chosen a gesetzliche Krankenkasse over a private insurance, you might want to contact the Künstlersozialkasse ( http://www.kuenstlersozialkasse.de/ ). It's very hard to ge
... See more
Hello Maaike,

I hope you've settled in well and find Germany a good place to stay.

I know this thread is a few months old, but I'd like to add something regarding health insurance:

If you have chosen a gesetzliche Krankenkasse over a private insurance, you might want to contact the Künstlersozialkasse ( http://www.kuenstlersozialkasse.de/ ). It's very hard to get in and you need to prove with invoices and bank statements that you really are a publicist, but sometimes it's worth the hassle.

This is a special institution for artists and publicists, which works similar to an employer by paying about half of your insurance premium. Also, your insurance is based on your projected yearly income, which you tell them in advance.

For example, if you have a total yearly income of 10,000 Euros, you will need to pay about 160 Euros per month. This includes payments to the German Federal Pensions Fund and statutory nursing care insurance (Rentenversicherung und Pflegeversicherung). This amount varies depending on whether you have children or not.
If you only earn half, it's half, if you earn a lot more, there's a cutoff somewhere (which I have never reached).

Be aware though that once you are insured with them and continue the same profession, you will need to stay with them until you leave the country again or until you stop working/or work too little.

I think you can apply with retroactive effect from the day you started working in Germany.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Moving to Germany - where to start?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »