EPSO translation competition: tips for preparing & anything I should know that they don't tell me?
Thread poster: A. da Silva
A. da Silva
A. da Silva
Japan
Local time: 20:53
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Sep 2, 2013

Hi there,

I hope I've the right forum. I'll be taking the assessment tests for the first time this year and I'm wondering if anyone has any tips or would like to share anything that candidates might not come across.

I've gone through the various links on the EPSO site and looked at the sample tests. I keep up my general knowledge and read the news in my languages. What else would you suggest a candidate do to prepare? Is there anything EPSO neglects to mention?
... See more
Hi there,

I hope I've the right forum. I'll be taking the assessment tests for the first time this year and I'm wondering if anyone has any tips or would like to share anything that candidates might not come across.

I've gone through the various links on the EPSO site and looked at the sample tests. I keep up my general knowledge and read the news in my languages. What else would you suggest a candidate do to prepare? Is there anything EPSO neglects to mention?

Thanks in advance!

[Edited at 2013-09-02 20:19 GMT]
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:53
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Translation or interpreting? Sep 2, 2013

You failed to mention what job you're applying for.

A. da Silva
A. da Silva
Japan
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Translation Sep 2, 2013

FarkasAndras wrote:

You failed to mention what job you're applying for.

It's translation, sorry about that. I figured that since I was posting in Translation it would be obvious but I've edited my post to make clear.

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:53
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Not my area Sep 3, 2013

I have a bit of insight into interpretation tests, but I don't know a thing about how translation tests are carried out, so I can't help you.
Best of luck.

A. da Silva
A. da Silva
Japan
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks anyway!!! Btw, it's the full-time translation competition I'll be doing Sep 4, 2013

FarkasAndras wrote:

I have a bit of insight into interpretation tests, but I don't know a thing about how translation tests are carried out, so I can't help you.
Best of luck.

Thanks for your response anyway! And I see I have to get used to being more specific because of the different types of competitions (full-time, freelance) so that's something I learned from this exchange already Thanks again!

[Edited at 2013-09-04 08:11 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

EPSO translation competition: tips for preparing & anything I should know that they don't tell me?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »