Thread poster: James Greenfield
Jane Phillips
Jane Phillips  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 03:52
Member (2013)
French to English
If it's to be a proper letter sent by post Oct 30, 2013

I'm one of the many in a similar position, having passed my Master last year, and gradually trying to ease into professional translation. Having read in another thread (or was it a blog ?) that a beginner should aim to contact 1 000 agencies a month (gulp) I must admit I hadn't even considered the possibility of sending a proper letter.

The advantage is obvious in that you must have a much greater chance of being read, even if the recipient can't just click to look at a web site
... See more
I'm one of the many in a similar position, having passed my Master last year, and gradually trying to ease into professional translation. Having read in another thread (or was it a blog ?) that a beginner should aim to contact 1 000 agencies a month (gulp) I must admit I hadn't even considered the possibility of sending a proper letter.

The advantage is obvious in that you must have a much greater chance of being read, even if the recipient can't just click to look at a web site etc.

But if its to be a real letter starting "Dear (name) " it should end "Yours sincerely" and not "Kind regards" or have things changed that much since I left the UK in 1991?

... oh and an enormous thank you to all of you who take the time to help us beginners, I'm not sure I would have had the courage to take the first step otherwise.

Many thanks
Jane
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advice needed on cover letter

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »