Selecting the best host for a translator website
Thread poster: Jessie Nelson
Jessie Nelson
Jessie Nelson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:37
French to English
Jun 1, 2013

I am trying to set up a website, but am having some difficulty selecting a host.
Suggestions please.

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 10:37
English to Polish
+ ...
Doesn't Proz membership come with free hosting? Jun 1, 2013

As per title.

Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
You already have a host Jun 1, 2013

Jessie, actually you already have a host - ProZ.
You are a paying member and with your membership comes a hosting packagage.
Just look under "My hosting".

Manuela Ribecai
Manuela Ribecai  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to French
+ ...
I use One.com Jun 1, 2013

... and I'm really happy with it.

IrimiConsulting
IrimiConsulting  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2010)
English to Swedish
+ ...
This is how I chose Jun 2, 2013

I chose my website and e-mail provider based on the following:

1) Must be compatible with Microsoft Outlook since I need to share calendars with others and synchronise with my Iphone. I know it can be done with other solutions, but going with Outlook saves time.

This requirement ruled out the web provider I used for my personal website.

2) Must be located in my country and geographically near -- less legal hassle, fewer network delays.

3) Must
... See more
I chose my website and e-mail provider based on the following:

1) Must be compatible with Microsoft Outlook since I need to share calendars with others and synchronise with my Iphone. I know it can be done with other solutions, but going with Outlook saves time.

This requirement ruled out the web provider I used for my personal website.

2) Must be located in my country and geographically near -- less legal hassle, fewer network delays.

3) Must have regular backups. Most web providers have this, avoid those who don't.

4) Must have human customer support during office hours via phone. My business is critical and I need to be able to ring for help when I normally work. If the e-mail goes down, having support only via e-mail is not very helpful.

You might also consider:

5) Tools for website creation (e.g. Wordpress or Joomla). This helps you to easily get started. If you, like me, outsource your website design and maintenance, widespread tools makes it easier to find a web programmer. It also makes it easier to change web programmer if you're not happy.

6) Server platform: This is often not relevant, but some are picky about using Linux or Windows (or something else).
Collapse

Niina Lahokoski
Niina Lahokoski  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 11:37
Member (2008)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Web Hosting Hub Jun 2, 2013

I recently moved from Proz.com hosting to Web Hosting Hub and have been quite happy. The main reasons for the change were that WHH has unlimited mailboxes, so you can keep your emails longer without worrying about space limits, and that they allow additional domains (add-on, parked etc.) without extra fee. In general they seem to have less limitations than Proz. I used their chat support a couple of times and it worked well, too.

[Edited at 2013-06-02 11:57 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Selecting the best host for a translator website

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »