Bachelor's in International Studies and Spanish - seeking advice on getting started
Thread poster: Ally Stack
Ally Stack
Ally Stack  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:51
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 4, 2013

I am new to translation. I have a Bachelor's Degree in International Studies and Spanish. Could anyone give me some advice about how to get started?

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:51
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
It needs lots of research Apr 4, 2013

Welcome to ProZ.com and the world of translating.

I suppose you're sure you want to be a translator, and you know what the job entails - if not, find the answers now! Then, you need to decide whether you're the right person to be a freelancer. This entails a lot of independence, running a business (albeit a very small one) from home with nobody to take responsibility for your actions.

If you're still sur
... See more
Welcome to ProZ.com and the world of translating.

I suppose you're sure you want to be a translator, and you know what the job entails - if not, find the answers now! Then, you need to decide whether you're the right person to be a freelancer. This entails a lot of independence, running a business (albeit a very small one) from home with nobody to take responsibility for your actions.

If you're still sure you want to go this route, then it's time to get started with one of the most important skills that a translator can have: research. You could do worse than devoting a lot of time to reading the various forums threads here and taking advantage of all the wealth of information here. I suggest you have a look at the "Education" tab here and make fll use of the Site Guidance centre here: http://www.proz.com/guidance-center

When you have some specific questions, come back here with them.

Happy research!
Collapse

Nor Afizah
Nor Afizah
Malaysia
Local time: 21:51
English to Malay
Welcome! Apr 4, 2013

All i can say is you have come to the right place!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bachelor's in International Studies and Spanish - seeking advice on getting started

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »