Thread poster: Wolfgang Feichtlbauer
Gül Kaya
Gül Kaya  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:35
Turkish to English
+ ...
Wow Jun 25, 2013

I can't believe a thread has been resurrected after an interval of 11 YEARS. Must be some sort of record. Great that it's actually possible though.

Helena Chavarria
Helena Chavarria  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:35
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I don't like attaching my CV Jun 26, 2013

No sooner had I started replying to job offers, I stopped. I realised that the rates the posters offered were ridiculously low and giving a quote wasn't worth my time.

However, I must admit I do reply when I receive a personal email. I still think that someone is really interested in my work!

I go through the whole checking process (Blue Board, etc) and then do what I have been asked: I send them my rates and I attach my CV.

But I'm starting to have secon
... See more
No sooner had I started replying to job offers, I stopped. I realised that the rates the posters offered were ridiculously low and giving a quote wasn't worth my time.

However, I must admit I do reply when I receive a personal email. I still think that someone is really interested in my work!

I go through the whole checking process (Blue Board, etc) and then do what I have been asked: I send them my rates and I attach my CV.

But I'm starting to have second thoughts. I realise that I don't like sending complete strangers such personal information: my address, phone number, etc. And more often than not, whoever I've sent the information to doesn't even bother answering me.

I've cut my cover email down to the basic facts and I'm having serious thoughts about doing the same with my CV.

I'm sure my profile on Proz is probably too long-winded but I think it gives people a rough idea of the sort of person I am and what I do, and it's a lot friendlier than my CV!
Collapse

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
After recently posting a job on Proz... Jun 27, 2013

My wife and I are opening our own translation and design agency. I posted an ad here on proz a few weeks ago and I don't think I should have asked for CV's. I appreciate the information and it really was useful to me to see what kind of translation experience and knowledge people had, it really bogged down my systems and I'm still reading through them all (only 300 to go!).

I agree, I think that a CV or Resume isn't the best method of documenting and presenting experience. I made
... See more
My wife and I are opening our own translation and design agency. I posted an ad here on proz a few weeks ago and I don't think I should have asked for CV's. I appreciate the information and it really was useful to me to see what kind of translation experience and knowledge people had, it really bogged down my systems and I'm still reading through them all (only 300 to go!).

I agree, I think that a CV or Resume isn't the best method of documenting and presenting experience. I made a portfolio of some of my projects that best highlight my knowledge and shows some of the things that I've been involved in. Keeping my last job posting experience, I believe more firmly now that a portfolio or project history is the better option.

As far as the cover letters or messages that accompanied the CV, I really appreciated the messages that actually answered the questions that I asked, or responded to things that I had posted. Some were 2-5 pages long, one was only 6 words. It was really easy to pick out the general, copy-paste, messages.

The only thing that I wanted to add is that my wife and I, the ones running our agency, are both freelance translators and understand how important translators are. We make a serious effort to pay our translators respectable rates, even if it means that we don't make as much. We won't pay any less than what we would be willing to work for.

Not all jobs posted here are $0.01 per word, payment after 90 days, scams. ^_^

[Edited at 2013-06-27 06:42 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Never send your CV as an attachment!

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »