Thread poster: Raquel Pérez
Raquel Pérez
Raquel Pérez
Local time: 01:46
French to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 22, 2013

Hi everybody,

I've just started as a Freelance translator and i have to purchase a CAT tool (yu-huu).

So far I've worked with Trados 2007,but I have downloaded a trial version of Deja-vu which i liked, A LOT.

However, I still don't know what to do, because I know most translating agencies work mostly with Trados and I am afraid I can loose clients if I don't adjust to the main market.

There is also the financial reason, I can now purchase D
... See more
Hi everybody,

I've just started as a Freelance translator and i have to purchase a CAT tool (yu-huu).

So far I've worked with Trados 2007,but I have downloaded a trial version of Deja-vu which i liked, A LOT.

However, I still don't know what to do, because I know most translating agencies work mostly with Trados and I am afraid I can loose clients if I don't adjust to the main market.

There is also the financial reason, I can now purchase Deja-vu at only 250€ (330$)

What do you advise me?
Collapse

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Agencies might have a say, but you decide Feb 22, 2013

Personally, I have been using Deja Vu since 14 years, serving quite a large number of clients requiring Trados formats in different versions. It sometimes takes a bit of flexibility from both ends, but in the end, it should not be the CAT tool that decides but the quality you deliver. So my advice should be clear. Although... it never hurts to have two or more CAT tools.

[Edited at 2013-02-22 18:21 GMT]

Raquel Pérez
Raquel Pérez
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
you are right Feb 22, 2013

You are right, that's what i thought. But for a complete beginner as me, loosing a client is somthing quite scary.

Anyways, the 50th anniversary offer of Dejavu is quite convincing; plus i really like it, it is much simpler and easier to use than Trados.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Go for DV Feb 22, 2013

Raquel Pérez wrote:
So far I've worked with Trados 2007, but I have downloaded a trial version of Deja-vu which i liked, A LOT.

If you fall in love with a CAT tool after you tried it for a few real jobs, then it means that you were made for each other, and I would advise you to buy it.

Note that Trados 2007 is no longer distributed, so as far as I know you can't buy it anymore, so the only way you can translate Trados 2007 files if you don't have Trados 2007 is by using other tools that support it. Does DV support Trados 2007 format?

Raquel Pérez
Raquel Pérez
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I've stopped using trados 2007 long ago Feb 22, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:

Note that Trados 2007 is no longer distributed, so as far as I know you can't buy it anymore, so the only way you can translate Trados 2007 files if you don't have Trados 2007 is by using other tools that support it. Does DV support Trados 2007 format?

Actually, my version of Trados 2007 is a version we used at college that gives me quite a few problems on a regular basis, it gets quite stuborn sometimes. That's why i want to change it.

And I don't know if DV supports Trados 2007 format, I should look that up.

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Support for SDL Trados 2007 Feb 22, 2013

It does, but you might need a demo version of SDL Trados 2007. It is a vanishing format anyway.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Vanishing format Feb 22, 2013

Wolfgang Jörissen wrote:
Trados 2007... it is a vanishing format anyway.

As a format it is alive and kicking. I just had a quick look at my files for 2012, and there are nearly 3000 TTX files, and 15 SDLXLIFF files. In 2012, four clients had SDLXLIFF jobs for me (one job each), as opposed to dozens of clients for TTX, and hundreds of distinct jobs in that format. I speculate that more than 2/3 of my TTX jobs would not have been possible to do in Trados 2009/11 because it required either creating TTX files or dealing with non-pre-segmented partially translated TTX files. During the same year I had 650 TXML files (Wordfast Pro) and 200 XLZ files (Idiom).

I realise that number of files isn't a dead accurate way of counting jobs, but it gives you an idea of ratios. My figures for 2011 are different but equally telling: 500 XLZ files, 550 TXML files, 550 TTX files, and 4 SDLXLIFF files (i.e. one Trados 2009 client, with one job). In 2010 I had 11 SDLXLIFF files (three clients, one job each), and in 2009 I also had 11 SDLXLIFF files (one client, one job).

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 02:46
English to Turkish
+ ...
DVX of course Feb 23, 2013

Hi Raquel,

You have already tested DVX and liked it... then go for it! Everyday we spend hours in front of our computers translating, so use a CAT tool which is easy-to-learn but productive as well.

I have tested/used almost all CAT tools, all have bugs and none of them are perfect but in my opinion DVX is still the best.

Selcuk

Sarah McDowell
Sarah McDowell  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 18:46
Member (2012)
Russian to English
+ ...
You should get Déjà Vu Feb 23, 2013

I have this and it is very nice. I like everything about it so far. If you have already tried it and like it, then you should go for it.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Who's vanishing? Feb 23, 2013

I get constantly mail from Atril trying to sell me their software for 295 Euro. less than half the list price. So I thing they are rather desperate to get more sales. That does not look too good from the user's point of view. I bet many tools will vanish from the market those next couple of years, because for developers it becomes increasingly more expensive to keep track.
SDL is going to stay the market leader. Forget about Trados, with SDL Studio 2011 you don't need it anymore.
... See more
I get constantly mail from Atril trying to sell me their software for 295 Euro. less than half the list price. So I thing they are rather desperate to get more sales. That does not look too good from the user's point of view. I bet many tools will vanish from the market those next couple of years, because for developers it becomes increasingly more expensive to keep track.
SDL is going to stay the market leader. Forget about Trados, with SDL Studio 2011 you don't need it anymore.

But certainly DV is a good piece of software. I have never used it myself, so I don't know how well it supports different formats.

[Bearbeitet am 2013-02-23 13:28 GMT]
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
all those rumours Feb 23, 2013

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

I get constantly mail from Anvil trying to sell me their software for 295 Euro. less than half the list price. So I thing they are rather desperate to get more sales. That does not look too good from the user's point of view.

All software companies try to sell more licenses with competitive prices, so what? Atril team is working hard, all the developers (another rumour: Atril is a one man show, lol), marketing team, support staff, they are doing their best to develop new and unique features and sell more licenses. And I should admit that they are successful. More Déjà Vu X2 licenses are sold everyday with these competitive prices and each new build comes with new features.

I bet many tools will vanish from the market those next couple of years, because for developers it becomes increasingly more expensive to keep track.

On the contrary, now there are more CAT tools in the market and this is good for innovation and competition. Trados was once the market leader and it was even called the "industry standard". SDL discontinued Trados and now Studio is just another CAT tool.

Raquel Pérez
Raquel Pérez
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you everybody Feb 24, 2013

Thank you all for your opinions and advices.

I was already rooting for DV, but you have reassured me on my possition.

Thanks again.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Déjà Vu or Trados? Suggestions needed

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »