Canada design student career change - feedback needed
Thread poster: kozi
Feb 17, 2013

Hi I am from montreal canada and still lives here. I am 24 years old

i am finishing my (DEC) diploma in illustration and design. 3 years. I am stretching to 5 years and have one year left. I wanted to drop out but sticked with it because i wanted a degree. I am burned out by this field because maybe it is not for me. but if it is for me i am just burned out. I previously studied 2 years of 3d animation. So I know terms in Litterature/arts/design/cinematography/photography.
... See more
Hi I am from montreal canada and still lives here. I am 24 years old

i am finishing my (DEC) diploma in illustration and design. 3 years. I am stretching to 5 years and have one year left. I wanted to drop out but sticked with it because i wanted a degree. I am burned out by this field because maybe it is not for me. but if it is for me i am just burned out. I previously studied 2 years of 3d animation. So I know terms in Litterature/arts/design/cinematography/photography.

I have no experience in technical fields but i have interests in biology/phylosophy/nutritions and maybe math.

I am born speaking french and learned english when i was 10. but I was hearing english sense i was 6 i just did not understand it much at the time.

I want to know with what I have now what can i do. What knowledge can i get. I want to take 3-5years of first to travel and relax from that intense 6 years of school right after high school I did take one year break which is good.

I want to save myself from going to university if i can because i am afraid of debts. so I can learn on my own its better

If not what do you suggest me

Should i go to university and get a Ba in a humanities field(philosophy, english or french litterature, communication, dance or music studies)

and maybe get a minor/or teach myself some biology and or mathematics.

I need at least 1 year to get the level of writing i once had and 1 more year to become good and probably a third year to be excellent

What are good montreal and or ottawa universities i should check , or even maybe cegeps

or is it possible to just teach my self what i need( with discipline) and maybe in 3-4 years start my freelancing career.

will my background in illustration and graphic design be useful to me ? i guess it could branch me into fashion/advertisment/movie subtitles etc.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Canada design student career change - feedback needed

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »