Thread poster: Jessie LN
Jessie LN
Jessie LN  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:09
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 29, 2013

I recently tried to apply to register with a translation agency and one of their pre-requisities is the ability to issue invoices.

Do I need some kind of special training/certification/registration to issue an invoice? I am a bit confused. I had a look around on the forums and it seems that in Australia you do. I am based in the UK, however.

Wouldn't I need to invoice ALL agencies/clients after completing a translation??

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:09
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
They problably need this information to set up an account for you Jan 29, 2013

I guess, they just need to know if the invoices will be issued in your name, i.e. if you rumn your business as Jessie L. or an assumed business name instead. This information is crucial because that's what will be printed on the check automatically. A client of mine once ignored this minor detail, and the bank would not allow me to deposit a check made out to "Nicole Schnell" into our business account.

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 12:09
Italian to English
Perhaps they mean VAT? Jan 29, 2013

Here in Italy you can only issue an invoice if you have a VAT number. And the threshold is very low compared to the UK, five thousand Euro or so per year. After that you need a VAT number and can issue invoices, if you earn less than that you can still obviously be paid, but what you send has a different name.

Years ago I seem to remember you can earn up to £50,000 before needing to apply for a VAT number in the UK, although I may be wrong! Or things may have changed.

... See more
Here in Italy you can only issue an invoice if you have a VAT number. And the threshold is very low compared to the UK, five thousand Euro or so per year. After that you need a VAT number and can issue invoices, if you earn less than that you can still obviously be paid, but what you send has a different name.

Years ago I seem to remember you can earn up to £50,000 before needing to apply for a VAT number in the UK, although I may be wrong! Or things may have changed.

At this point I would check with the agency to find out what they mean, and investigate invoicing and payment procedures and regulations in the UK. I'm sure other UK-based colleagues will be of more help.

Best of luck!
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
They need to be sure you have the right Jan 29, 2013

They are expecting to be invoiced by a business, even if that business is actually a freelancer trading under his/her own name. If they pay someone who's actually a private individual, they can be accused of money laundering: who's to say that you're not a friend/relative and the money is actually staying "in the family" rather than paying for a legitimate service. This is doubly important across borders as that's how money is often laundered.

The problem in the UK is that you don't
... See more
They are expecting to be invoiced by a business, even if that business is actually a freelancer trading under his/her own name. If they pay someone who's actually a private individual, they can be accused of money laundering: who's to say that you're not a friend/relative and the money is actually staying "in the family" rather than paying for a legitimate service. This is doubly important across borders as that's how money is often laundered.

The problem in the UK is that you don't actually have to register as a freelancer! OTOH, you do have to declare the income as earnings and pay social security contributions on that income: as long as you're doing that then all I believe you have to do is say "yes - I have the right". In France and Spain (the countries I know), you actually have to be registered formally as an independent worker, so we can show numbers etc.

HTH
Collapse

Jessie LN
Jessie LN  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Feb 7, 2013

Thank you for all your comments and insights. It makes a bit more sense now!

Fiona - yes, the earnings threshold before needing to register for VAT here is £77,000! Crazy money.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Seeking clarification regarding the requirements to issue invoices

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »