Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Why are translation qualifications practically nonexistent in the US?
Thread poster: Kelly Efird
Kelly Efird
Kelly Efird
Local time: 16:31
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 11, 2013

From what I have read, it seems the translation industry is not as organized in the United States as it is in Europe and other countries. Why is this?

I understand that there is the American Translation Association, but why are there very few (if any) degree programs in that? Why are there no bachelor degree programs in translating/interpreting, for example?

There are companies that train interpreters, and court interpreter training, but there are so many different comp
... See more
From what I have read, it seems the translation industry is not as organized in the United States as it is in Europe and other countries. Why is this?

I understand that there is the American Translation Association, but why are there very few (if any) degree programs in that? Why are there no bachelor degree programs in translating/interpreting, for example?

There are companies that train interpreters, and court interpreter training, but there are so many different companies out there, and a lot of court interpreting certificates are only valid in a particular county/state. Yes, I know interpreting and translating are different, but that's not the point I'm trying to make.

When I am asked on these forums, what are my qualifications, I don't even know how to answer that question other than saying "I live in the U.S." because I feel that explains a lot.

If anyone knows anything about the translation industry in the U.S., by all means, school me!
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:31
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
How about a Master's Degree in Translation at the New York University? Jan 11, 2013

Kelly Efird wrote:
why are there very few (if any) degree programs in that? Why are there no bachelor degree programs in translating/interpreting, for example?

Or at the Gallaudet University in Washington, D.C.? Or at the Kent State University, Ohio? Or at the Monterey Institute, California? SUNY Binghamton, New York? University of Dallas, Texas? Or a Graduate Certificate at the American University in Washington, D.C.? Or the Boston University? The Florida International University? Georgia State University?

Whitney Maslak
Whitney Maslak
United States
Local time: 14:31
German to English
I am just getting started, but... Jan 11, 2013

I am planning on showing that I am qualified by getting a Professional Certificate in German to English Translation from NYU (halfway through the program now), and then after that I plan to take the exam for the ATA certification. I think that you have to work harder to show that you are qualified in the U.S. because there is no standard certification that every translator must have.

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:31
German to English
+ ...
To add to Nicole's list Jan 11, 2013

Translation certificate from Graham School of Continuing Studies, University of Chicago
MFA in Literary Translation from the University of Iowa
Translation & Interpretation at the Univ. of Wisconsin-Milwaukee

and the ATA has a list of approved schools as well:
http://www.atanet.org/certification/eligibility_approved.php#us

If you
... See more
Translation certificate from Graham School of Continuing Studies, University of Chicago

If you are interested in interpreting, look at NAJIT for judicial interpreting and this site for national medical interpreter certification: http://www.certifiedmedicalinterpreters.org/

Basically, as with everything else, each state can choose to do what it wants. Most things having to do with the courts are only going to be valid for that county/state anyway. And, frankly, a person can very happily go through life living in the United States just speaking English. I just don't think the profile of the translation and interpretation industry is as high as in Europe, for instance, where proximity and politics make it prominent, except maybe in courts and hospitals. Most people have no clue what I do when I say I'm a translator.

Just my 2 cents (not saying it's right).

[Edited at 2013-01-11 18:35 GMT]
Collapse

Kelly Efird
Kelly Efird
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Okay, but why does one have to "dig" for them? Jan 11, 2013

For example, I didn't know the ATA existed before I joined this site.

There are state board certifications for everything else, it seems (teaching, nursing, hairstyling to name a few). Why can't it be the same for translating/interpreting?

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:31
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Then... Jan 11, 2013

Kelly Efird wrote:

The ATA has existed for over 50 years, has 11,000 members spread all over the world, and for decades their yearly congresses are the place to be if you want to make good contacts in the US, so if you did not know about the ATA... maybe you did not look hard enough.

Kelly Efird
Kelly Efird
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Native language rule? Jan 11, 2013

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Kelly Efird wrote:

The ATA has existed for over 50 years, has 11,000 members spread all over the world, and for decades their yearly congresses are the place to be if you want to make good contacts in the US, so if you did not know about the ATA... maybe you did not look hard enough.

Do they have a rule about translating into one's native language only?

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
Court interpreting in the US. Jan 11, 2013

Daina Jauntirans wrote:

If you are interested in interpreting, look at NAJIT for judicial interpreting and this site for national medical interpreter certification: http://www.certifiedmedicalinterpreters.org/

Basically, as with everything else, each state can choose to do what it wants. Most things having to do with the courts are only going to be valid for that county/state anyway. And, frankly, a person can very happily go through life living in the United States just speaking English. I just don't think the profile of the translation and interpretation industry is as high as in Europe, for instance, where proximity and politics make it prominent, except maybe in courts and hospitals. Most people have no clue what I do when I say I'm a translator.

Just my 2 cents (not saying it's right).

[Edited at 2013-01-11 18:35 GMT]

Hi. You made some good points about court interpreting, but not everything is as you said. The examinations administered by various courts are good for the whole state at least, and in many cases for something like 27 states (the New Jersey exam). The court exams are usually quite difficult, and they are required to be allowed to work in most US courts. They cannot be replaced with any kind of exams administered by any associations, or other entities.

Regarding your second question: Nobody, absolutely no prestigious institution or association in the US has the rule about translating into somebody's native language (whatever is meant by that). That would be against the US Constitution. This is something exclusively EU. This would be like saying; "Blondes only" -- almost. If the quality of your translation is bad no one will give work, but no one will tell you that you are not allowed to translate into any language you want to.

[Edited at 2013-01-11 20:35 GMT]

Daina Jauntirans
German to English
+ ...
Thanks Jan 11, 2013

for the correction, Lilian!

Daina Jauntirans
German to English
+ ...
Well... Jan 11, 2013

Kelly Efird wrote:

There are state board certifications for everything else, it seems (teaching, nursing, hairstyling to name a few). Why can't it be the same for translating/interpreting?

Dig? I Googled "translator association" (which is what I would do if I was wondering if this profession had an industry association), and the first hit was the ATA. I hear your frustration, but if you're at the beginning of your career, joining sites like this and researching is going to be how you find this stuff out. ProZ and ATA are good first steps.

By the way, the ATA has a program for translators and intepreters to go into schools and talk about the profession. I did this in my daughter's class. The more of us do, the more students and teachers will know about our profession. I do agree that our profile is too low in the US.

PS There are a lot of professions for which there are no state board certifications. I am currently studying for a paralegal certificate. There is no state board certification in my state for paralegals. Organizations offer them, though, so the situation is somewhat similar to the translation industry. And see above for Lilian's points about interpreting.

[Edited at 2013-01-11 21:56 GMT]

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:31
Hebrew to English
Incorrect Lilian Jan 11, 2013

LilianBoland wrote:
Regarding your second question: Nobody, absolutely no prestigious institution or association in the US has the rule about translating into somebody's native language (whatever is meant by that). That would be against the US Constitution. This is something exclusively EU. This would be like saying; "Blondes only" -- almost. If the quality of your translation is bad no one will give work, but no one will tell you that you are not allowed to translate into any language you want to.

Erm.........

Kelly it depends what you mean by "rule". The opinion of the ATA is quite clear from their website:

"Professional translators work into their native language"
http://www.atanet.org/docs/Getting_it_right.pdf
http://www.atanet.org/publications/getting_it_right.php

...they also call this a "basic rule" and that "there are exceptions, but not many". You can also read the rather scathing way they talk about non-native translation in other parts of that publication too.

Now, I'm not sure how enthusiastically they enforce this "rule", if at all, but their opinion on this matter is transparent and clearly documented. Some people may dislike and disagree with this standpoint, but it's there for all to see and read nonetheless.

Plenty of other US institutions not only support but "discriminate" for native language (including the CIA!) basically it is NOT unconstitutional to enforce this policy when language/specific language ability is/would be material to the work at hand. (I have fished out the relevant law for Lilian in the past, to no avail apparently).

[Edited at 2013-01-11 22:56 GMT]

Kelly Efird
Kelly Efird
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's news to me. Jan 12, 2013

I started learning Spanish when I was about eight years old. I have never heard of that until now. Furthermore, I have been translating newspaper articles from English to Spanish, on my own, for a few years now. I do check with natives on how to word certain things, and I make sure to document it so I can have it to use in the future.

Although, in my humble opinion, Spanish might as well be right alongside English in the US. And, there is more material available in English than ther
... See more
I started learning Spanish when I was about eight years old. I have never heard of that until now. Furthermore, I have been translating newspaper articles from English to Spanish, on my own, for a few years now. I do check with natives on how to word certain things, and I make sure to document it so I can have it to use in the future.

Although, in my humble opinion, Spanish might as well be right alongside English in the US. And, there is more material available in English than there is in Spanish, so why can't I translate some of it into Spanish?
Collapse

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:31
Spanish to English
+ ...
BYU in Provo Utah has an EN<>ES translator program Jan 12, 2013

I have personally seen more emphasis on years of experience than on any sort of certification, which is why I haven't pursued ATA membership yet.

I personally think that the system in place here in the US isn't a bad one, if you're capable of doing the work, you can survive as a linguist, if you're not capable, you don't get any work. It's not without its faults, but I enjoy the freedom that I have to work when and where I please (within reason, of course). The biggest problems tha
... See more
I have personally seen more emphasis on years of experience than on any sort of certification, which is why I haven't pursued ATA membership yet.

I personally think that the system in place here in the US isn't a bad one, if you're capable of doing the work, you can survive as a linguist, if you're not capable, you don't get any work. It's not without its faults, but I enjoy the freedom that I have to work when and where I please (within reason, of course). The biggest problems that I've seen are competition with underqualified linguists and negative assumptions from clients that have worked with those linguists.

Personally, I would like to see more translation/interpretation training organizations. There's one here in St. Louis MO called Lamp, but I'm not very familiar with how they work, I only see their interpreters or trainees when ever I'm working and haven't been able to catch one.

Maybe one day in the future when I'm rich and famous I'll open my own training center! ^_^
Collapse

Jean Chao
Jean Chao  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:31
English to Chinese
+ ...
Los Angeles County Registrar requested for ATA translators Jan 12, 2013

I didn’t know this until a private client of mine called me and said that he absolutely needed me to translate his daughter’s birth certificate for some official business. He got my phone number when LA County Registrar helped him find my contact information on ATA website.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:31
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
ATA-certified program Jan 12, 2013

Kelly Efird wrote:
Do they have a rule about translating into one's native language only?

Referring to the ATA, I do not think they have such a rule. If you go for ATA certification, you can take the exams from and into your native language, and many translators are ATA-certified in both directions. Passing both directions is difficult though, and one should prepare thoroughly for the exams.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why are translation qualifications practically nonexistent in the US?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »