https://www.proz.com/forum/getting_established/237703-france_getting_asserment%C3%A9_without_speaking_french.html&phpv_redirected=1

France, getting assermenté WITHOUT speaking french?
Thread poster: Rafael Merino
Rafael Merino
Rafael Merino
France
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 19, 2012

Hello my dear colleagues;

I am a translator English-Spanish-English. I have been a translator for over 20 years, and now I have just moved to Paris. And I do not speak French, other than on a very rudimentary level.

Doing some research, I have noticed that the procedures to become an "official" translator in France are WAY EASIER than in Spain. In Spain it´s next to impossible to become a "Traductor Jurado" (for Spanish readers, here is a very clarifying and informativ
... See more
Hello my dear colleagues;

I am a translator English-Spanish-English. I have been a translator for over 20 years, and now I have just moved to Paris. And I do not speak French, other than on a very rudimentary level.

Doing some research, I have noticed that the procedures to become an "official" translator in France are WAY EASIER than in Spain. In Spain it´s next to impossible to become a "Traductor Jurado" (for Spanish readers, here is a very clarifying and informative article outside of Proz: http://www.lalinternadeltraductor.org/n4/traductor-interprete-jurado.html), while here in France apparently you make a petition to a certain Tribunal de Grand Estance (excuse me if I´m mispelling) and make an oath, that´s it, you´re in, and you can get your own tampon. Allez-hop!

So naturally I´m quite interested. But the natural question that follows, for which I have not been able to find an answer yet, is: Could I pursue my status of "Traducteur Assermenté" for the languages of English - Spanish without the French? Or is it completely necessary to be a French speaker?

Thank you very much.
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:42
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Interesting question Nov 20, 2012

Looking at the official site: http://www.ceticap.com/ , they only give the one language for each sworn translator, which implies that they translate between French and another language. You could try sending them a message: there's no English version of the site but if they, of all people, don't speak English, then they should be ashamed!
... See more
Looking at the official site: http://www.ceticap.com/ , they only give the one language for each sworn translator, which implies that they translate between French and another language. You could try sending them a message: there's no English version of the site but if they, of all people, don't speak English, then they should be ashamed!

It's difficult living in a country where you don't speak the language, isn't it? I've just moved in the opposite direction and am struggling to acquire Spanish as quickly as possible. Probably not as a working language (as I'm already 57), but at least to survive and integrate. Good luck with learning French!
Collapse

JaneAlison
JaneAlison  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 05:42
French to English
Why become 'assermenté' Nov 20, 2012

A traducteur assermenté can be called on at any time of the day or night to translate for the police, the courts or any other official body (I read somewhere but have unfortunately lost the reference, that its very poorly paid and can take up to a year to be paid). So logically you would have to be able to translate into French. The other work is translating official documents such as birth certificates etc (which I needed to have done last year in order to get married in France) - again you... See more
A traducteur assermenté can be called on at any time of the day or night to translate for the police, the courts or any other official body (I read somewhere but have unfortunately lost the reference, that its very poorly paid and can take up to a year to be paid). So logically you would have to be able to translate into French. The other work is translating official documents such as birth certificates etc (which I needed to have done last year in order to get married in France) - again you would have to be able to translate into French.

In addition the title of traducteur assermenté is only valid in France. So whilst I accept that being able to say that you are gives the impression to other clients that you are serious and competent I don't see that it will bring you any direct work.

I would tend to say that your chances of becoming 'assermenté' in France without fluent French are very slim.

Sorry to be negative.
Collapse

Rafael Merino
Rafael Merino
France
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much Nov 27, 2012

Thanks a lot for the prompt answers, and sorry if I could not write back until now.

So, apparently my chances are slim as of now. The only solution I can think of is becoming fluent in French as quickly as possible. So I´m working on it... I calculate that I will need at least 10 years to reach a comparable level in French as I have in English, though.

At any rate, thank you so much. I hope this thread will help others in the future!
Best

Rafa

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:42
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Don't lose sleep over it! Nov 27, 2012

merinotraductor wrote:
So, apparently my chances are slim as of now. The only solution I can think of is becoming fluent in French as quickly as possible. So I´m working on it... I calculate that I will need at least 10 years to reach a comparable level in French as I have in English, though.

As JaneAlison says, most of us who do (did in my case) qualify don't bother as there's no real benefit to it.

Marie Wagner (X)
Marie Wagner (X)  Identity Verified
Malta
Local time: 05:42
English to French
+ ...
sworn translators in France Nov 28, 2012

I am afraid you can only be sworn in if you speak French. The idea being to be able to produce documents for the courts or notaries in FRANCE and also beingable to stand as an interpreter in the courts. if you do not speak French, it is absolutely impossible.

Moreover the process involves an interview with the police after they check your records and swearing an oath before a magistrate and it cannot be done ifyou donot speak the language.

Good luck.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

France, getting assermenté WITHOUT speaking french?

Translation news

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »