Thread poster: Davidj (X)
Davidj (X)
Davidj (X)  Identity Verified

Local time: 11:03
English to Irish
+ ...
Oct 18, 2012

Hello,

I Established my Irish(Gaeilge) Translation website at www.irisheducationcenter.com a couple weeks back. So far, I have primary designed it based on my own ideas, but I need help from an experienced translator's point of view.

I'm concerned that my English-Gaeilge translation rates are off, but I thought I would ask just in case. I'm pretty much settled on the teaching
... See more
Hello,

I Established my Irish(Gaeilge) Translation website at www.irisheducationcenter.com a couple weeks back. So far, I have primary designed it based on my own ideas, but I need help from an experienced translator's point of view.

I'm concerned that my English-Gaeilge translation rates are off, but I thought I would ask just in case. I'm pretty much settled on the teaching rates, but I fear they also may be too high as well?

Secondly, should I charge in Euros or in dollars? I'm asking because I didn't see any English-Irish rates in dollars on the translation page.

kind regards,

DavidJ

[Edited at 2012-10-18 03:07 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-10-18 03:26 GMT]
Collapse

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 22:03
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Well done Oct 18, 2012

Davidj wrote:
I'm concerned that my English-Gaeilge rates are off

Yes. Too low. Don't forget you're offering a rather rare service.
Secondly, should I charge in Euros or in dollars?

Well, it seems you're based in the US, so dollars, I'd say. Also because your teaching rates are in USD, and you don't want to confuse your customers, do you?

The site looks great, even on a tablet.

Cheers,

Hans

[Edited at 2012-10-18 03:30 GMT]

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:03
Portuguese to English
+ ...
The site looks ok, Oct 18, 2012

but I would personally add more relevant content for your target audience. I also think the font is too small.

And yes, the rate is much too low!

Well done and good luck

Veronica Coquard
Veronica Coquard
France
Local time: 17:03
French to English
+ ...
A few errors Oct 18, 2012

Hello David,

Congratulations on your website -- but do correct those spelling errors!

Page 1:

- Capitalise 'TV'

- Change 'phenomena' to the singular 'phenomenon'

- 'United States', not 'Untied States'

- ...And just to be a perfectionist, try to find a way to scoot the 'businesses ot organisations' at the end over to the right side with the rest of the text. Tweaking the font size or image size is an easy way to do thi
... See more
Hello David,

Page 1:

- Capitalise 'TV'

- Change 'phenomena' to the singular 'phenomenon'

- 'United States', not 'Untied States'

- ...And just to be a perfectionist, try to find a way to scoot the 'businesses ot organisations' at the end over to the right side with the rest of the text. Tweaking the font size or image size is an easy way to do this.

Page 2: Looks like a word is missing when you say 'I continue this traditional...'

All the best!

[Edited at 2012-10-18 09:35 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:03
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
One or two comments Oct 18, 2012

Davidj wrote:
I established my Irish (Gaeilge) translation website at www.irisheducationcenter.com a couple weeks back. So far, I have primary designed it based on my own ideas, but I need help from an experienced translator's point of view.

Here is your web site, in my browser:

The first odd thing I noticed was that your web site had no title in its tab. Upon closer examination it turns out that your web site does have a title, but that the title is offset with a large chunk of white space, which shifts the words off the tab.

Fortunately, Google trims those spaces when displaying your page in a result set, otherwise Google users might have thought that "something is broken" with your site when looking at your site's entry in the results. Bing also removes the spaces, but only after truncating the title on length. This means that a long title in Bing will be displayed without the spaces, but also without the characters that occurred after a certain cut-off point. So Google will show a title as "Services - Irish Education Centre" but Bing will show the same title as "Services - Irish...".

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 22:03
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Tablet view Oct 18, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:
Upon closer examination it turns out that your web site does have a title, but that the title is offset with a large chunk of white space, which shifts the words off the tab.

Yes. It shows up on the iPad, and in Safari on the iMac, but it seems it's not left aligned.

Diana: I also think the font is too small.

If it's still readable on an iPad without zooming, I guess the font size is OK.

Cheers,

Hans

Davidj (X)

English to Irish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the Help! Oct 18, 2012

Thanks everyone! What do you think a good rate would be? In the meantime, I set it to .30 per word and $30.00 per hour and I"ll attempt to fix the spacing problem as well. This time I won't be making spelling errors since I'm awake, lol.

[Edited at 2012-10-18 10:23 GMT]

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Proofreading! Oct 18, 2012

Veronica Coquard wrote:

There really are a lot of errors in there that need to come out. Here are some I've noticed:
dtespite
it's (possessive use)
an family
interested with
teachings needs

I agree with others about raising your rates (+50% on everything, I'd say - your current rates are more suited to community services: not exactly pro bono but very affordable), but also you need to display them logically:
$0.9? Is that $0.90 per word (in which case I take back my low rate comment)?
$8 for a 30-minute lesson; $18 for a 1hr lesson? Is that correct? As a teacher myself, I would charge a little less than twice for the longer lesson. Each individual lesson has an overhead in terms of preparation, admin (invoicing etc.), and actually having to be in a certain place at a certain time. Of course, there won't be problems with travelling, but still...

Having said all that, it's a nice-looking site, and the sample translations are interesting. I've just moved to Fuerteventura where there's a very strong Irish element in the community, so I'm just starting to pick up my first words (mainly to do with food!).

Davidj (X)

English to Irish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I shouldn't have made the website late at night! Oct 18, 2012

Thanks for for advice. That's the last time I"ll be writing at 12.00 AM!. That's something to consider about the rates as well.

Ah yes, Celtic branch languages are funny when food is concerned since they are not related to Romance branch languages. For example: chicken is Sicín which is pronounced Sik-keen.

[Edited at 2012-10-18 10:41 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-10-18 10:42 GMT]

Davidj (X)

English to Irish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Updated the Translation and Teaching Rates Oct 18, 2012

Everything is adjusted, I hope it's better now!

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Seems fine except... Oct 18, 2012

Davidj wrote:

Everything is adjusted, I hope it's better now!

You now value your time at $27 an hour if you spend it translating, and only $12 if you're teaching (which would normally have to include some work outside of the hour that the client sees and pays for.

Davidj (X)

English to Irish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good point! Oct 18, 2012

Pricing is harder than it looks :}

Davidj (X)

English to Irish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Important Update Oct 18, 2012

Hello all,

For those who attempted to contact me through the contact form on my website, I'm afraid it was linked to an old email account which I can't access at the moment. I have just updated it.

I apologize for any inconvenience Thanks for your Patience :}.

DavidJ

[Edited at 2012-10-18 23:03 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Inquiry on Improving my Website

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »