Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Where to look for translation work where no cat tools are needed-feedback wanted
Thread poster: Luke Mersh
Inga Petkelyte
Inga Petkelyte  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 01:24
Lithuanian to Portuguese
+ ...
Dinosaur from Portugal Apr 4, 2015

I translate for decades, since my 10th grade, and do not use Trados. I have done various translations using clients' CATs and in all occasions, it was more troublesome and time-consuming rather than useful. Conjugation and gender endings in my languages is the major reason thereof. So I just don't own any CAT.
Some agencies (sic! not direct clients) insist on Trados; still this week, I retrieved my participation in a tender, as the agency's client requested "to confirm that you have SDL Tr
... See more
I translate for decades, since my 10th grade, and do not use Trados. I have done various translations using clients' CATs and in all occasions, it was more troublesome and time-consuming rather than useful. Conjugation and gender endings in my languages is the major reason thereof. So I just don't own any CAT.
Some agencies (sic! not direct clients) insist on Trados; still this week, I retrieved my participation in a tender, as the agency's client requested "to confirm that you have SDL Trados Studio 2014 or you are willing to buy it when the contract is awarded". No, thanks, I do not incur investments where neither any profits nor even recovery of the cost is reasonably ensured.
But, surely, having all the principle tools at hand and mastering their usage will only add to expanding your possibilities.
Any need for a hand or advice in Portugal - be always welcome.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where to look for translation work where no cat tools are needed-feedback wanted

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »