Arben Seva  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:01
Member (2003)
English to Albanian
+ ...
Jun 2, 2004

Hi,
I was wandering if somebody could tell me how to charge for voice recording. I have done it previously but I charged a fix amount and it took me more time that i thought. Should I charge per hour or is there any better way.

Thanks

Arben Seva
Arben Seva  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:01
Member (2003)
English to Albanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Voice recording Jun 3, 2004

I have been asked to record some already translated material. Of course during the recording I\'ll have to do the proofreading as well. There are not any requirments for artistic quality. I agreed already in a price per word, but I was just wondering if someone could advice a better way. When I first started working as freelance translater I did another small job like this. I was asked to translate a text and also record it. As i didn\'t knoW how to charge, charge the same amount for the transla... See more
I have been asked to record some already translated material. Of course during the recording I\'ll have to do the proofreading as well. There are not any requirments for artistic quality. I agreed already in a price per word, but I was just wondering if someone could advice a better way. When I first started working as freelance translater I did another small job like this. I was asked to translate a text and also record it. As i didn\'t knoW how to charge, charge the same amount for the translation and also for the recording. But i realised that i spent more time doing the recording (about 30 min of talking but it took me 3 hours to do it right). So I was just wondering about collegues with similar experiences.

All the best
Collapse

Omar Osman
Omar Osman
Local time: 11:01
Somali to English
+ ...
Charge per Hr Jun 4, 2004

I do one recording every two /three months, I charge per Hr and I know based on the word count how many Hr it will take. In one occasion a company needed me to go and do the recording in their offices, they paid me for 7 Hr at the "interpreting rate".
If you are able to make your own recording and produce the CD than you can charge more. For example if you need to record a text of 1000 words you should charge £100.00 (If it includes the CD) plus expenses(cost of CD+ post), in addition t
... See more
I do one recording every two /three months, I charge per Hr and I know based on the word count how many Hr it will take. In one occasion a company needed me to go and do the recording in their offices, they paid me for 7 Hr at the "interpreting rate".
If you are able to make your own recording and produce the CD than you can charge more. For example if you need to record a text of 1000 words you should charge £100.00 (If it includes the CD) plus expenses(cost of CD+ post), in addition to that they should pay you between £20.00 and £35.00 to proofread the document (If you didn't translate it). Remember that this prices are very low, so don't let any agency push you around. To do a recording in a studio it cost £160.00 (for the first 3 Hr) to use the facility plus £70.00 for each Wav file produced. This prices are based on a market research I made last year.
Many companies are now converting one of their rooms into a studio in order to save production cost and keep most of the profit. Hope it helps
Omar
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Charging for voice recording

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »