Thread poster: Will Masters
Will Masters
Will Masters  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 4, 2012

In the evening (after 9pm) on the second of January I received two emails from two separate outsourcers. One of these outsourcers was a client I have worked with a couple of times in the past, and the other from a completely new, potential client. Both were offering translations of a similar nature (different language combinations but that's irrelevant here), similar length and both were requested for the following morning. Both outsourcers were made aware that a surcharge would be applied to th... See more
In the evening (after 9pm) on the second of January I received two emails from two separate outsourcers. One of these outsourcers was a client I have worked with a couple of times in the past, and the other from a completely new, potential client. Both were offering translations of a similar nature (different language combinations but that's irrelevant here), similar length and both were requested for the following morning. Both outsourcers were made aware that a surcharge would be applied to the translations, if I were to accept the work, due to them having to be completed in unsociable hours, and this was accepted and agreed to by both.

I emailed, initially, the outsourcer that I have worked with in the past, asking if there was a possibility of changing the deadline to the fourth rather than third, which was the original date requested. I was told that they wouldn't be able to extend the deadline by a full day, but could by a couple of hours, which took the it into the afternoon. In exchange for this, with the translation not being started until after the second was completed, a reduced surcharge was added to the final pricing; due to the fact that although it was not going to be completed in unsociable hours necessarily, but instead fell under the category of an “urgent/same day” translation. Again, they agreed to the additional cost and I to the new deadline. Having dealt with that, I then went on to email the prospective client, and informed them that I would be able to take on the translation they were offering. We agreed the terms and conditions as regards to price per word (both before and after the surcharge was added), payment turn around etc, and finally went on to complete both translations for the times specified by both outsourcers.

My question is this. On this occasion I was able to pull it off, and complete both translations to the necessary standard for both outsourcers, but that said I understand completely that this might not always be the case in the future. Generally, from your personal experiences, in situations such as this, is it better to show loyalty to and accept the work that is offered by the client you know and trust, or to turn them down and offer your services to the potential new client in order to further extend your client-base? Obviously both actions have pros and cons: by accepting the work from the client and rejecting the potential one, you risk losing them as a possible future client. On the other hand, if you accept the work offered by the potential client, and in doing so have to turn down the one you have already worked with in the past, don't you run the risk of them going to other translators first, in the future, rather than to you when they are in need of an urgent translation to be completed? For future reference, how should situations like this be handled?

Edited to remove a repeated word

[Edited at 2012-01-04 19:33 GMT]
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:35
German to English
Don't do rush jobs for new clients Jan 4, 2012

If you look through the archives, you will see that frequently initial rush jobs lead to more last-minute work. If an agency knows it can take advantage of you at the outset, there is a good chance that it will consider you a patsy forever. You are much better off doing special favors for established clients.

The Misha
The Misha
Local time: 00:35
Russian to English
+ ...
Why would you go the extra mile for someone you have no or little history with? Jan 4, 2012

Generally, I treat ANY new business as a potential rip-off and proceed very cautiously, if at all. And if it's also from a jurisdiction I have no recourse in, forget it. Life is too short, and there's plenty of things to do.

A Word For I (X)
A Word For I (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
Tried and true Jan 5, 2012

Stick with the tried and true first. Dependability is rewarded and repeat business is best. Better to try out the new client on a job that doesn't require you to ruffle feathers or upset an established relationship. If they are a reasonable company they will understand that. Develop some history with a new prospect first, then think about sticking your neck out for them.

Remember - Chi va piano va sano, e va lontano!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

existing client vs new for quick deadline jobs

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »