Would be a domain with .DE for Brazilian unproductive?
Thread poster: Bielschowsky
Bielschowsky
Bielschowsky
Brazil
English to German
+ ...
Dec 5, 2011

Dear All,

I want to find a Domain for my Translation firm. The .COM and .ORG Domains, that I wanted, are occupied.

The firm will be in Brasil (normally we use .COM or .COM.BR). So now I am think to use .DE, as I will concentrate my firm in Portuguese-German translations.

For Germany it is of course good to have .DE (DE means Deutschland - Germany).

The Question:

Would be the domain whit .DE for Brazilian unproductive?
... See more
Dear All,

I want to find a Domain for my Translation firm. The .COM and .ORG Domains, that I wanted, are occupied.

The firm will be in Brasil (normally we use .COM or .COM.BR). So now I am think to use .DE, as I will concentrate my firm in Portuguese-German translations.

The Question:

Many many thanks for the answers
Collapse

cranium
cranium
French to English
+ ...
First check out the specific rules for that ccTLD Dec 5, 2011

Some country code top level domains are limited to resident citizens of the country in question, or companies registered in that country. You will have to check out the .de eligibility for companies registered in another country.

Ana Crespo
Ana Crespo  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:17
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Both? Dec 6, 2011

Hello Turian-

I am certainly no expert, but my gut-feeling tells me that, ideally, you would look for a website name that is available in both .com.br and .de, aand get both, so you would be able to access, more easily, clients in both countries. I do not know if it would be much more expensive to have both.

Good luck!

All the best...

Ana

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:17
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
IMHO DE will be OK Dec 6, 2011

Especially that you are based in Berlin. It will also give you a better place in Google.de

Best Regards
S

Bielschowsky
Bielschowsky
Brazil
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Dec 6, 2011

Many thanks for the answer.

I actually thought, .de would be great for Germany and also for all Europe. But now I am living in Brazil and will also need my clients from here. And Brazilians just know things like .com, .com.br, .org and .net. They never had contact whit .es, .nl, .de etc.

That´s why I think .de for Brazil wouldnt be good...

best regards

turian

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:17
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
If you have moved Dec 6, 2011

If you have moved to Brazil, the de domain won't be great - for example IMHO a Brazilian client who sees domain de will expect that you may be more expensive.

Most likely I would go for a website in German with de domain and another one in Portuguese with another domain. For example there are now global domains CO which are designed for business- they are quite expensive but many good ones are still free, if not than maybe BIZ or INFO?

Cheers
S

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:17
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Why limit yourself to one domain? Dec 6, 2011

Domains are cheap. Buy as many as you think you need to work best for various markets and just re-direct them all to your website. No reason you can't have both .br and .de (or .eu) domains.

Stefan Blommaert
Stefan Blommaert
Brazil
Local time: 21:17
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
two ways of seeing this Dec 6, 2011

The first way is to see this like anyone would in the rest of the world: .de is just another extension. People might not know what the "de" stand for, but they will probably accept it. If your language pairs include German, it might not even be such a bad idea.

The second way to look at this, is the way (from my own experience with brazilians, having lived there for 6 years) brazilians will look at this. They won't have a clue what "de" stands for, won't give a toss, and - even afte
... See more
The first way is to see this like anyone would in the rest of the world: .de is just another extension. People might not know what the "de" stand for, but they will probably accept it. If your language pairs include German, it might not even be such a bad idea.

The second way to look at this, is the way (from my own experience with brazilians, having lived there for 6 years) brazilians will look at this. They won't have a clue what "de" stands for, won't give a toss, and - even after your explaining it a gazillion times to them - will consistently refuse to make the effort to "adopt" it. A lot of Brazilians still think that the "normal extension" is ".com.br", instead of ".com" and often wonder out loud why the rest of the world is so difficult and why they don't know what "orkut" is.
It speaks for itself, of course, that those in Brazil who work in the same language pair as you do and who actually have some grasp of what is happening beyond their borders, will know what it stands for, but something tells me that it is not these people you need to convince.

Bottom line: don't know if this will be productive, but have serious doubts. Practically speaking, I would tend to agree with Rudolf: if you can afford it, why limit yourself to one domain, but that is an entirely different issue from wanting to know if this will be productive or not.
Collapse

Having Brazilian Domain (.br domain) is good and sometimes necessary... Apr 24, 2013

Turian da Silva Bielschowsky wrote:

Dear All,

The Question:

Many many thanks for the answers

Agree with “Stefan Blommaert" !
Brazilians are familiar with .com.br, .net.br, .org.br, .med.br etc. instead of .com, .net and .org
My personal experience with having good number of geo specific domains says that it is good to have .br domain if you wish to do business in Brazil. The only issue with .br domain registration is that you need to be an individual or company with residence in Brazil, with CPF or CNPJ number. If you do not meet the residence requirement, you can still buy Brazilian Domains through http://www.marcaria.com/domains/Brazil/brazil-domain-registration-com-br.asp (I purchased my .com.br domain from this registrar). This company did registration of the domain in its own name in Brazil to make it available for me and I’m happily expanding my business in Brazil through my new .com.br and .net.br digital stores now.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Would be a domain with .DE for Brazilian unproductive?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »