Thread poster: Hanne Van Puyvelde
Hanne Van Puyvelde
Hanne Van Puyvelde
Spain
Local time: 01:23
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Oct 7, 2011

Does anyone have experience with working for Clickworker? Is it abwaist of time or a good way to gain some experience?

Alex Lago
Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
I would say NO Oct 8, 2011

I have no experience working with them in fact I didn't even know what they were till a few minutes ago when I read your question and checked out their website.

Looking at their rates, they charge clients €19.95 for a 1000 word text without quality control (I imagine that means only a translator and no proofreader) and €24.70 for a 1000 word text with quality control (I guess this means there is a proofreader).

So that means they are charging €0.01995 per word of
... See more
I have no experience working with them in fact I didn't even know what they were till a few minutes ago when I read your question and checked out their website.

Looking at their rates, they charge clients €19.95 for a 1000 word text without quality control (I imagine that means only a translator and no proofreader) and €24.70 for a 1000 word text with quality control (I guess this means there is a proofreader).

So that means they are charging €0.01995 per word of translation, I imagine they don't provide their "service" for free, so that means the translator must get paid less than that.

The proofreading is charged at €4.75 per 1,000 words (the difference between the prices I mentioned before), so that means €0.00475 per word and once again I imagine they don't provide their "service" for free, so that means the proofreader must get paid less than that.

So to make €100 you would have to translate more than 5,000 words or proofread more than 21,000 words.

So I would definitely say this is a waste of time for a professional, however as you mention using this to "gain some experience" I guess it pays more than free or pro-bono translations.
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Wow! Oct 8, 2011

Alex Lago wrote:
So to make €100 you would have to translate more than 5,000 words or proofread more than 21,000 words.

Wow. I'm impressed. This is exactly the kind of work that keeps you from progressing because it makes you poor and you can't keep improving your knowledge, look for good customers, or seek further training. It is the best road to long-term poverty in all senses.

Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)
Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
selling cars with no quality check Oct 8, 2011

Alex Lago wrote:

Apart from obviously low rates, I'd stay away from TBs who offer translations without QA.
And anyway, what does it mean??? "I can translate for you, if you wish, but I cannot guarantee any quality of my translation" ???? oh please
Ewa

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:23
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
It's a good way to hell, I'd say Oct 9, 2011

Alex Lago wrote:
So I would definitely say this is a waste of time for a professional, however as you mention using this to "gain some experience" I guess it pays more than free or pro-bono translations.

I suppose I'd have to agree that it "pays more than free translations". But "pays more than pro-bono translations" when referring not only to financial gain but also to gain in terms of experience? No, I wouldn't say that's true. Sometimes, you get feedback from pro-bono clients. Even if you don't, many of your translations will be published somewhere and you can check the final text against your text - the differences tell you a lot and help you to improve. And of course there's the payback you receive in terms of knowing that you have done something to help a worthy cause.

I agree with others that this "job" would simply result in having to churn out more and more words - quality would probably be appalling, particularly if you are inexperienced or if the subject matter isn't 100% on the tip of your tongue. And it wouldn't get better. In fact, I reckon it would probably get worse the more desperate you get to bring in enough money for the basics of life.

And that doesn't begin to address the issue of helping to drag our profession through the dirt, with end clients thinking we produce rubbish and some disreputable agencies believing they can make money by selling us into slavery.

It will certainly pay less than many unskilled jobs. If money is the main issue, then why not do a cleaning, packing or production line job, and keep translating (free or paid) for your free time? When you feel more experienced you can consider whether to market yourself as a professional translator charging professional rates.

Sheila

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Alex: what's the URL? Oct 9, 2011

Alex Lago wrote:

What is the URL of the page where you got that information from?

The page I'm looking at says that they charge clients EUR 0.06-0.08 per word without proofreading and EUR 0.10 to EUR 0.14 per word with proofreading (and they mention proofreading specifically).

And this page says that they expect workers to earn about EUR 10.00 per hour. But I find no information about how much a worker would be paid per word translated.

Alex Lago
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
This is the URL Oct 9, 2011

Samuel Murray wrote:

http://www.clickworker.com/en/product-wizard/?choice=texts#SubProdukt

You have to then click on "Text Creation" (under "2. Select a Product").

That opens a list which only reaches up to 500 words but if you hover over the list it will expand.

I used the rate for 901-1000 words.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
What is text creation? Oct 9, 2011

Alex Lago wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:

You have to then click on "Text Creation" (under "2. Select a Product").

Well, what is text creation?

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:23
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Still far too low Oct 9, 2011

Samuel Murray wrote:
The page I'm looking at says that they charge clients EUR 0.06-0.08 per word without proofreading and EUR 0.10 to EUR 0.14 per word with proofreading (and they mention proofreading specifically).

And this page says that they expect workers to earn about EUR 10.00 per hour. But I find no information about how much a worker would be paid per word translated.

I think you're right, Samuel, but those rates to the client are lower than the rates accepted by most translators in Europe (and this is a German company). If they're getting in 0.06€ per word, they won't be paying more than 0.03€ to their translators. To be paid 10€, you'd have to type non-stop with no time for research or checking. And how much is a European government going to leave you with after taxes and social contributions? No, 10€ is not an hourly rate - it's a rate for 15-20 minutes, and some of those minutes must be set aside for research, spell-checking and proofreading.

Sheila

Alex Lago
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
My mistake Oct 10, 2011

Samuel Murray wrote:

Well, what is text creation?

Opps I was looking at the wrong page, their translation rates are as you mentioned 0.06 and 0.10 (with proofreading).

Admittedly nowhere near as bad as I originally thought but still low, but they are now in line with other "agencies" that offer these kinds of rates, so they are not as "cheap" as I thought, unfortunately that means they probably will find people to do the work for them.

Plus we still don't know what "commission" they keep.

Emmanuelle G (X)
Emmanuelle G (X)  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Clickworker is an alternative to very cheap agencies Oct 10, 2011

Clickworker does not only offer translations to their clients. But Sheila is right, they pay something like €0,03 or for any translation. And I am not sure about how they choose their translators... It's not an agency.
And you have to pay a commission (€1 or something like that if I remember well) for EACH project you choose to apply for! That is why, after having registered because a friend of mine suggested me to do it, I have finally never accepted to work for them...
This is
... See more
Clickworker does not only offer translations to their clients. But Sheila is right, they pay something like €0,03 or for any translation. And I am not sure about how they choose their translators... It's not an agency.
And you have to pay a commission (€1 or something like that if I remember well) for EACH project you choose to apply for! That is why, after having registered because a friend of mine suggested me to do it, I have finally never accepted to work for them...
This is just a waste of time. I prefer giving my time to NGOs for which I sometimes work, I am not paid, but this is for good reasons.
But Cliworkers is still here, so I guess that it has enough translators to do the job, certainly.
Collapse

I hope I can help here Oct 11, 2011

Hello everyone,

My name is Judith and I am writing from clickworker.com’s support.
I think this discussion here might lead into some confusion and I hope I can shed light on this issue.

The rates you have been talking about in this thread are the rates for our clients. You will find some further information on the terms and conditions for our Clickworkers using
... See more
Hello everyone,

My name is Judith and I am writing from clickworker.com’s support.
I think this discussion here might lead into some confusion and I hope I can shed light on this issue.

The rates you have been talking about in this thread are the rates for our clients. You will find some further information on the terms and conditions for our Clickworkers using the following link: http://www.clickworker.com/en/faq/

But first thing first: Registering at clickworker.com is free. You are not asked to pay any fees at any time while working as a Clickworker.

One part of our quality assurance is, that every Clickworker has to successfully complete several assessments in order to gain access to jobs. The availability of jobs is based on how many and what kind of assessments a Clickworker has completed. Of course the score of an assessment is important, too. For most of our translation jobs you will need to complete the appropriate assessment with at least 75%. But some of our projects even require a rate of 90%.

We do not only offer translation-jobs, but also: proofreading, data research, web research, image capturing and categorization as well as several writing jobs.

If you would like to find out more about the job as a Clickworker, please follow the link below: http://www.clickworker.com/en/clickworkerjob/

How do Clickworkers get paid?

We usually pay per assigned micro job, not per line or word. Our fees depend on the difficulty and the amount of work and therefore differ from project to project. Please remember, that being a clickworker is usually be seen as a side job.

If you wish to get further information at first hand – e.g. experiences of Clickworkers – feel free to visit our Clickworker-Community at facebook. Here our clickworkers regularly mingle with each other and you will certainly find the one or the other who can tell you more about personal experiences.

You can also contact our support-team at anytime, if you would like to get further information

Best regards

Judith Schröder

clickworker.com Community and Support
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Clickworker

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »