How to set up a team or small agency - how to get clients directly or through the majors???
Thread poster: Marek Makosiej
Marek Makosiej
Marek Makosiej  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 06:02
English to Polish
May 4, 2004

Hello,
I am experienced freelancer and more and more frequently I think about establishing a small agency or a team of translators. However, the main problem that's bothering me is how to get into touch with clients directly. I mean clients who are companies or big agencies. An acquaintance of mine some time ago left big localization company in Poland and started out a new business. After very short time he said that he was amazed at the pace the agency is developing and, number of clients
... See more
Hello,
I am experienced freelancer and more and more frequently I think about establishing a small agency or a team of translators. However, the main problem that's bothering me is how to get into touch with clients directly. I mean clients who are companies or big agencies. An acquaintance of mine some time ago left big localization company in Poland and started out a new business. After very short time he said that he was amazed at the pace the agency is developing and, number of clients it works for and the projects it gets. I started to wonder how to approach such companies (maybe I will not approach Microsoft or Intel at the very beginning - I don't know how, anwyay - but that's the point, in general...
Being a freelancer you get projects from others - how to become those "others" or get even one level higher?
Most portals contain tips for freelancers but it is hard to get information about how to get higher on that business ladder...
Can anyone share their experience on the subject with me?
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to set up a team or small agency - how to get clients directly or through the majors???

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »