Kevin Higgins
Kevin Higgins
Ireland
Local time: 00:05
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 7, 2002

Hi,

I\'m just about to graduate (with a translattion degree) and I\'ll be travelling to Spain in mid-June to (hopefully) get a job translating. I know it\'s not going to fall into my lap but can anyone recommend any specific agencies that would be looking for a CA,DE,ES>EN translator. If not does anyone have any success stories about getting a job in Spain?? Thanks! ;o)

AnneM (X)
AnneM (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:05
Spanish to English
+ ...
Advice from a fellow Irish translator in BCN area Apr 7, 2002

If you\'re looking to work with agencies then you needn\'t limit yourself to Barcelona. What you\'ll need to do is set yourself up as quickly as possible with an Internet connection and then the world\'s your oyster... but you\'ll need patience (and income...!) as you set up contacts.

Be active in Proz, that should help you make contacts.

Put your CV in the informarex and foreignword databases. I have got several jobs through here from agencies looking for Spanish-based trans
... See more
If you\'re looking to work with agencies then you needn\'t limit yourself to Barcelona. What you\'ll need to do is set yourself up as quickly as possible with an Internet connection and then the world\'s your oyster... but you\'ll need patience (and income...!) as you set up contacts.

Be active in Proz, that should help you make contacts.

Put your CV in the informarex and foreignword databases. I have got several jobs through here from agencies looking for Spanish-based translators

www.infomarex.ie

www.foreignword.com

Send out CVs (search for agencies on the net)and be patient.

Apply for jobs posted through proz.

Register in www.infojobs.net. This is an online employment agency and one of few which has a special section for translators. They post jobs for freelancers and in-house positions. Don\'t get your hopes up too high here as there is a lot of competition and a lot of unattractive job offers.

Read through the \'getting started\' forum and you\'ll get a lot of general advice there. What else...? Feel free to e-mail me if you need any help when you get here

Anne

Collapse

Paul Roige (X)
Paul Roige (X)
Spain
Local time: 01:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hey! Apr 7, 2002

Welcome to Barcelona. The more the merrier!! We need young people here, we\'re all getting so old here, they say. Best place to have children too, the Government will pay you a good tip if you have more than three. And if you go Catalan, you won\'t turn Taliban (not mine, Bill Clinton\'s dixit).

Naa, kidding, mate, I wish you all the best. Anne\'s suggestions are indeed very accurate. Tara

)

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Local time: 19:05
German to English
+ ...
Hey, Kevin Apr 7, 2002

Anne\'s advice is spot on. And, yes, you\'ll need stamina starting out (especially in Spain, with their notoriously low rates).

As Anne said, the world is your oyster once you\'ve set up your computer and Internet connection. So, don\'t limit yourself to agencies in Spain.

Good luck and keep us posted

Jon Zuber (X)
Jon Zuber (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Read the Spanish fora, if you haven't already. Apr 8, 2002

They contain a few interesting and useful tidbits about working there.

Kevin Higgins
Kevin Higgins
Ireland
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everyone! Apr 27, 2002

Well I\'m off to Barcelona on the 18th of June and I have a job as an English teacher lined up for the summer and then an in-house pposition after that. Life couldn\'t be rosier, oh wait, my finals are in the way.............

Thanks for your advice, I may even meet some of you guys!)

Dave Greatrix
Dave Greatrix  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
All good advice! May 1, 2002

I am leaving to live on the Cost del Sol on 13th May. I have been waiting for a few months, and my biggest problem was getting my dog sorted out. (rabies jab, paperwork etc.

Work? What changes? Only the actual physical location of my PC and my body. Nothing else.

My clients don\'t give a hoot where I live as long as I\'ve got a telephone and ISP. Why should they?

I know you are just starting out, but the phrase \"the world is your oy
... See more
I am leaving to live on the Cost del Sol on 13th May. I have been waiting for a few months, and my biggest problem was getting my dog sorted out. (rabies jab, paperwork etc.

Work? What changes? Only the actual physical location of my PC and my body. Nothing else.

My clients don\'t give a hoot where I live as long as I\'ve got a telephone and ISP. Why should they?

I know you are just starting out, but the phrase \"the world is your oyster\" probably applies more to translators than any other profession. It has certainly got to be near the top anyway.

I live in the UK and have for example worked for several clients in the USA, and must say I have found them to be extremely reliable payers, whereas I have had a client, \"just up the road\" so to speak who I had to give a couple of \"nudges\" before I was paid. So don\'t worry about distance either, it makes no difference.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Seeking work in Barcelona.....or anywhere in Spain

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »