Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:07
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Advance payments Sep 26, 2011

Agencies always collect at least 50% of the project in advance before starting. If the client does not pay them, they can still pay the translator in full and the only thing they are out is the cost of their initial investment, their value-added service(s) and their commission. Therefore, they could in theory pay you in full upon delivery.

For direct clients, you are doing all the work and therefore, in theory, you should collect 100% of the payment before starting. And if you are c
... See more
Agencies always collect at least 50% of the project in advance before starting. If the client does not pay them, they can still pay the translator in full and the only thing they are out is the cost of their initial investment, their value-added service(s) and their commission. Therefore, they could in theory pay you in full upon delivery.

For direct clients, you are doing all the work and therefore, in theory, you should collect 100% of the payment before starting. And if you are charging your direct clients the same as agencies (although I cannot think of a good reason you would do this) your 100% is equivalent to the 50% they are accustomed to paying the agency in advance.

In general, I think translators are too shy when it comes to asking to be paid for our services, but pre-payment will definitely become the modus operandi for translation services in the near future.
Collapse

PRAKASH SHARMA
PRAKASH SHARMA  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 05:37
English to Hindi
+ ...
I agree Sep 27, 2011

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

For direct clients, you are doing all the work and therefore, in theory, you should collect 100% of the payment before starting. And if you are charging your direct clients the same as agencies (although I cannot think of a good reason you would do this) your 100% is equivalent to the 50% they are accustomed to paying the agency in advance.

In general, I think translators are too shy when it comes to asking to be paid for our services, but pre-payment will definitely become the modus operandi for translation services in the near future.

I agree and am sure that there is no harm in asking for advance payment. However one shouldn't become lenient with his/her quality or timely delivery of work after receiving payment.

And indeed, "pre-payment will definitely become the modus operandi for translation services in the near future".

Regards,
PRAKAASH

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

money up front??

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »