What should I know about "Content Analysis"?
Thread poster: Tuncay Kurt
Tuncay Kurt
Tuncay Kurt  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 18:33
English to Turkish
+ ...
Sep 12, 2011

Hello All,

I have recently got a job offer about "medical content analysis". Apart from the basic meaning I have no idea about it. Surely I have asked the project manager for some more detail/information and they are doing their best to guide me but I also want to do my homework and search about it. Until now what i know that it is a "2nd stage content analysis within any given medical project" for a 60 minutes interview with (possibly) healthcare professionals or patients etc. (int
... See more
Hello All,

I have recently got a job offer about "medical content analysis". Apart from the basic meaning I have no idea about it. Surely I have asked the project manager for some more detail/information and they are doing their best to guide me but I also want to do my homework and search about it. Until now what i know that it is a "2nd stage content analysis within any given medical project" for a 60 minutes interview with (possibly) healthcare professionals or patients etc. (interviews are in Turkish and content analysis will be done in English).

I am a full-time medical translator and highly familiar with medical terminology/literature but since this is an uncharted area for me I am a bit anxious. The problem will not be about the translation procedure but the rest of this whole content analysis process. So, does anyone have any info/experience about what should I expect? Since I have no idea about how long it will take it is pretty difficult for me to give them a fair rate for content analysis of 60 minutes interview. How should I determine my rate? Any tips?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Have a nice evening.

Tuncay
Collapse

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:33
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Don't ask the crowd Sep 13, 2011

The crowd cannot help you. Ask those who have offered you the job to explain what it is all about, for they are the only ones who can give you a good answer. Do not be afraid to ask them such questions due to fear of showing your ignorance. It is better to pass up the job than to be disgraced by accepting a job that is beyond your capabilities.

That's my take on it.

Christina Paiva
Christina Paiva  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:33
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Content analysis > Validation of questionnaries? Sep 13, 2011

Hi Tucay

I agree with Henry, you should ask your client. But before you do, read these articles below.

I'm not sure if what is described in these articles is what your client has in mind, but if it is anything different from translating/proofreading a text on validation of questionnaries (aka content analysis) something is very wrong. Content analysis (validation of questionnaires) involves planning, a big budget to conduct a number of interviews and submitting the q
... See more
Hi Tucay

I agree with Henry, you should ask your client. But before you do, read these articles below.

I'm not sure if what is described in these articles is what your client has in mind, but if it is anything different from translating/proofreading a text on validation of questionnaries (aka content analysis) something is very wrong. Content analysis (validation of questionnaires) involves planning, a big budget to conduct a number of interviews and submitting the qualitative data to statistical analysis. If this is the case, it is not your regular translation job...

Good read!

1. Three Approaches to Qualitative Content Analysis

Content analysis is a widely used qualitative research technique. Rather than being a single method, current applications of content analysis show three distinct approaches: conventional, directed, or summative. All three approaches are used to interpret meaning from the content of text data and,..

http://www.hu.liu.se/larc/utbildning-information/scientific-methodology/course-literature-and-links/1.253567/Qualitative20Content20Analysis_1.pdf

2. Cross-Cultural Translation - Methodology and Validation

Translating questionnaires for cross-cultural research is fraught with methodological pitfalls that threaten research validity. Some flaws are difficult to detect, leading to the erroneous conclusion that cultural differences are substantive when, in fact, they stem from semantic inconsistencies. We describe the process of translation and validation of the Hebrew version of an American questionnaire for cross-cultural comparisons of medical students' attitudes toward preventive medical services.

http://jcc.sagepub.com/content/25/4/501.short
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What should I know about "Content Analysis"?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »