Thread poster: Irina Gray (X)
Irina Gray (X)
Irina Gray (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Russian
+ ...
Aug 6, 2011

Dear colleagues,

I am trying to publish some sample text translations from English into Russian on to my profile at the moment.

I don't have any projects on the go that I could use to get such samples from. Also, not sure if it would be a good idea to publish such samples from real projects due to confidentiality issues anyway.

I tried to search for some Creative Commons texts on different subjects such as business, marketing etc but I just couldn't find
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I am trying to publish some sample text translations from English into Russian on to my profile at the moment.

I don't have any projects on the go that I could use to get such samples from. Also, not sure if it would be a good idea to publish such samples from real projects due to confidentiality issues anyway.

I tried to search for some Creative Commons texts on different subjects such as business, marketing etc but I just couldn't find anything worthy.

I am just wondering if anyone knows of some websites / organizations which publish English articles (assumed to be free of copyright or creative commons or something like that) which I could use for my sample translations.

I am also looking into an opportunity to do free translations for charities but it seems like they want people with experience, education and so on before accepting anyone. Which is fair enough I suppose.

Translators Without Borders only accept translators with at least 2 years of experience. Another project I have just applied for (someone recommended it on ProZ.com as well) are looking for translators who have an accounting / IT related degree from a Russian school which I don't.

So I'd be happy to do free translations for charities but at the moment it appears to be like looking for another job only without any salary.

Anyway, I am just looking for some quality sample texts that I can translate into Russian and then get them uploaded into my profile.

If someone has had similar experience with sample texts before, or if you just have some ideas / pointers in this respect, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Irina
Collapse

Rolf Kern
Rolf Kern  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 18:48
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Why not Aug 6, 2011

Why not use any English text found in the Web? It is published and therefore not connected to any business secret.

Rolf

Trudy Peters
Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:48
German to English
+ ...
How about newspaper or magazine articles? Aug 6, 2011

Most newspapers are accessible free of charge on the Internet. Pick a subject that's to your liking. You may want to make sure, though, that the paper or magazine isn't published in several languages already.

Good luck,

Trudy

Irina Gray (X)
United Kingdom
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Aug 6, 2011

Rolf Kern wrote:

Why not use any English text found in the Web? It is published and therefore not connected to any business secret.

Rolf

Hi Rolf!

Thanks for your advice. I would have doubts taking just any text - whether it's published on the internet or not does't mean it is free of copyright and I never know how this content's owners may react to me publishing their material and translation elsewhere. I am always trying to tread on the right side of things.

But thanks for taking your time to reply to me!

Irina

Irina Gray (X)
United Kingdom
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Aug 6, 2011

Trudy Peters wrote:

Most newspapers are accessible free of charge on the Internet. Pick a subject that's to your liking. You may want to make sure, though, that the paper or magazine isn't published in several languages already.

Good luck,

Trudy

Hi Trudy,

Thanks for that. I was thinking about that too. I was thinking of doing some translations of BBC articles but they are published in Russian as well. Maybe, I'll do it with CNN instead. There's a big choice there . And of course, I will always quote the source so that they don't feel offended .

Thanks again!

Irina

Irene Narvaez
Irene Narvaez  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Try Global Voices Aug 6, 2011

Dear Irina,

I know how hard it is.
Global Voices is an international community of bloggers who report on blogs and citizen media from around the world. I know they would be very happy to have you as a volunteer translator. Here is the link:
http://globalvoicesonline.org/for-bloggers/#translation

Good Luck!

Irene Narváez

Irina Gray (X)
United Kingdom
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Aug 7, 2011

Irene Narvaez wrote:

Dear Irina,

I know how hard it is.
Global Voices is an international community of bloggers who report on blogs and citizen media from around the world. I know they would be very happy to have you as a volunteer translator. Here is the link:
http://globalvoicesonline.org/for-bloggers/#translation

Good Luck!

Irene Narváez

Hi Irene!

Thanks very much for this wonderful recommendation. I will certainly pursue this route.

It looks like we are namesakes as well .

Irina

Emal Ghamsharick
Emal Ghamsharick  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Wikipedia Aug 7, 2011

You've probably had this idea already.
You can translate Wikipedia Articles directly with Google Translator Toolkit.

What's even better is that, you can publish your stuff on one of the most frequently visited sites on the Web. AFAIK there is no rule prohibiting translators from taking credit for their translations on Wikipedia.

Khanacademy.org is also always looking for translators, mostly for subtitling.

Irina Gray (X)
United Kingdom
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank You Aug 7, 2011

Emal Ghamsharick wrote:

You've probably had this idea already.
You can translate Wikipedia Articles directly with Google Translator Toolkit.

What's even better is that, you can publish your stuff on one of the most frequently visited sites on the Web. AFAIK there is no rule prohibiting translators from taking credit for their translations on Wikipedia.

Khanacademy.org is also always looking for translators, mostly for subtitling.

Emal, thanks for your recommendations. I'll keep them in mind!

Irina

Mohammad Renaldi Diponegoro
Mohammad Renaldi Diponegoro  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 23:48
Member (2010)
English to Indonesian
Project Gutenberg Aug 7, 2011

Project Gutenberg is also a good place to start. They host more than 36,000 free ebooks from US. You might want to take a look at subjects that best describes you, and pick up some pages to translate from the corresponding ebooks.

http://www.gutenberg.org/

Irina Gray (X)
United Kingdom
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Aug 7, 2011

Mohammad Renaldi Diponegoro wrote:

Project Gutenberg is also a good place to start. They host more than 36,000 free ebooks from US. You might want to take a look at subjects that best describes you, and pick up some pages to translate from the corresponding ebooks.

http://www.gutenberg.org/

Thanks for that Mohammad, I'll have a look at it.

Irina

Kirsten Bodart
Kirsten Bodart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
Also, what server is this proz-site on? Aug 7, 2011

The reason I ask is that the copyright laws of the country where the server is apply.

If this is an American server, you are allowed to post small scraps of copyrighted text, only not everything, if there is a clear purpose in doing so and if you declare who the author is. So you can't pass it off as your own text (but that is straightforward).

You can't post too much in such sample translations anyway as the space isn't there, so I think it would be possible even to
... See more
The reason I ask is that the copyright laws of the country where the server is apply.

If this is an American server, you are allowed to post small scraps of copyrighted text, only not everything, if there is a clear purpose in doing so and if you declare who the author is. So you can't pass it off as your own text (but that is straightforward).

You can't post too much in such sample translations anyway as the space isn't there, so I think it would be possible even to publish a translation of a copyrighted work, provided that you were to take out any relevant details like people, companies and such; and provided that you say where it comes from, thus leaving the author of the original text the credit.

Maybe you could ask any person you have done a project for whether they would mind if you used a small piece of it to put on the internet. You are indeed right... If I were a client and saw my text popping up in your sample-section I would feel slightly cheated, even if my name wasn't in it... It's just a matter of politeness really.

[Edited at 2011-08-08 10:42 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-08-08 10:43 GMT]
Collapse

Irina Gray (X)
United Kingdom
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Aug 7, 2011

Kirsten Bodart wrote:

If this is an American server, you are allowed to post small scraps of copyrighted text, only not everything, if there is a clear purpose in doing so and if you declare who the author is. S you can't pass it off as your own text (but that straightforward).

You can't post too much in such sample translations anyway as the space isn't there, so I think it would be possible even to publish a translation of a copyrighted work, provided that you were to take out any relevant details like people, companies and such; and provided that you say where it comes from, thus leaving the author of the original text the credit.

Maybe you could ask any person you have done a project for whether they would mind if you used a small piece of it to put on the internet. You are indeed right... If I were to be a client and I would see my text popping up in your sample-section I would feel slightly cheated, even if my name wasn't in it... It's just a matter of politeness really.

Hi Kirsten,

Thanks for your thoughts.

I have decided to translate do some articles from CNN and Guardian (UK newspaper). I'll put CNN and Guardian as a source obviously, there's no problem with that. I think this should be fine.

Thanks again,
Irina

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Legislation and public information Aug 8, 2011

A lot may already be translated, but far from all of it.

I have a document in my portfolio that I was actually paid to translate. Neither the client nor I could understand why it was not already in English. However, we could not find an English version and the client needed one...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for texts for sample translations

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »