Thread poster: HDare
HDare
HDare
Local time: 12:15
Russian to English
+ ...
Jul 19, 2011

Hello,

My name is Hannah and I am just coming to an end of my MA in Interpreting and Translation at Bath University. I am applying for jobs and I am at the stage of doing translation tests for a position at an organisation in Vienna. It would be my first position in the translation sector, even though I have worked in teaching and libraries before doing the course and I have been asked for salary expectations.

I am not entirely sure of what the going rate in Euros for a
... See more
Hello,

My name is Hannah and I am just coming to an end of my MA in Interpreting and Translation at Bath University. I am applying for jobs and I am at the stage of doing translation tests for a position at an organisation in Vienna. It would be my first position in the translation sector, even though I have worked in teaching and libraries before doing the course and I have been asked for salary expectations.

I am not entirely sure of what the going rate in Euros for a junior translator in Austria would be and would like to see if anyone can advise on a ball-park figure? I do not want to undersell myself or undercut what translators are ususally paid.

The organisation is a charity and subject to passing tests, I would be a Language Coordinator for Russian, French and German. Iwould be revising/editing work, translating and coordinating different translators.

I would appreciate any help people could give me on this,
Thank you,
Hannah
Collapse

David Wright
David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 11:15
German to English
+ ...
Not sure about going rate Jul 19, 2011

but Vienna is not a cheap city, and to survive (rent - which is the biggest cost, - plus a bit to spare) you would probably want a net salary of at least € 1200. (= gross around € 2000) unless you can find cheap accommodation. Mind you, I don't line in the city, so someone else might be able to give you a better idea.

HDare
HDare
Local time: 12:15
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 21, 2011

Thanks for your help. I've had a couple of other replies that have let me get an idea of a ballpark figure. I've just emailed it to recruitment. So hopefully all will go well.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Salary expectations for a translator in Austria

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »