How to ask for jobs after passing trials
Thread poster: ihd (X)
ihd (X)
ihd (X)
Local time: 20:03
Jul 3, 2011

Hey Proz users

I have passed many trial tests for different agencies, however, I rarely hear back from them. What is the best way to ask for jobs?

I know I don't have that much job experience working as a full-time translator, and that may cause them a bit hesitant to ask me to work for them.

There is this one company that keeps asking me to do translation checks. I have been asking them to give me some translation work (since the beginning of the year) bec
... See more
Hey Proz users

I have passed many trial tests for different agencies, however, I rarely hear back from them. What is the best way to ask for jobs?

I know I don't have that much job experience working as a full-time translator, and that may cause them a bit hesitant to ask me to work for them.

There is this one company that keeps asking me to do translation checks. I have been asking them to give me some translation work (since the beginning of the year) because some of the translation documents that I have seen are abysmal. However, it is July and they haven't given me a single translation job. I am pretty prepared to tell them that I'm not willing to do any more checking job.

Any hints on how to write a good e-mail asking for some proper translation jobs?

[Edited at 2011-07-03 11:15 GMT]
Collapse

Sarah Bouachacha
Sarah Bouachacha  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:03
English to French
+ ...
you need a course about negotiation Jul 3, 2011

indie_hunk wrote:

Hey Proz users

I have passed many trail tests for different agencies, however, I rarely back from them. What is the best way to ask for jobs?

There is this one company that keeps asking me to do translation checks. I have been asking them to give me some translation work (since the beginning of the year) because some of the translation documents that I have seen are abysmal. However, it is July and they haven't given me a single translation job. I am pretty prepared to tell them that I'm not willing to do any more checking job.

Any hints on how to write a good e-mail asking for some proper translation jobs?

Hello indie_hunk,

Probably the translations you checked, are automated ones, do not be afraid to tell them that you do not want for them next time they contact you. They fool you and now you are looking for how diplomate you should be to tell them what you think about their unprofessionnal manners. But, negotiation takes place before you start any translation test.
And if the translation are so abysmal, just forget it every body knows that automated translation are waste of time to check and to edit unless you can handle a good rate for it. but that is not sure.
unfortunately, there are more and more such agencies who work in that way, like a fisher who throws his net in the see and wait for.

Do not seat and wait for such swindler that you do not have may experience is not a reason to sell your skills for low, otherwise you always got such offer.

There is only one way to success self confidence, if it is really what you want to do to earn your bread, so go ahead and apply for agencies if you do not have a lot of experience, train yourself and if you do not have degree in translation, so try to work on it.
Moreover, there are many senior collegues who give you tipps, just have a look on members activities, there are many courses or tips. How to set up your own business and so on.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 13:03
Spanish to English
+ ...
Spelling Jul 3, 2011

indie_hunk wrote:

Hey Proz users

I have passed many trail tests for different agencies, however, I rarely back from them...

Perhaps your spelling or elision let you down, as with "trail/trial" or "I rarely back" etc in your first sentence?

I mean, I'm not being snide or snippy but I wouldn't employ someone who made 2 different types of mistakes (for whatever reason, in a hurry or not) in the first sentence of a text...

[Edited at 2011-07-03 11:08 GMT]

Angus Stewart
Angus Stewart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:03
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
Marketing Jul 3, 2011

Possibly you have not been marketing yourself as well as you could? I just checked the English version of your profile and it tells me very little about you. For instance it does not mention anything about your credentials, areas of expertise etc. When communicating with agencies it is important to tell them why they should employ your services by highlighting your strengths and any unique selling points.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Marketing 2 Jul 3, 2011

Hello

I have to agree with the other comments that you really are not presenting the best image here, firstly with an almost blank profile. In addition to that, I would say that your user name here is an absolute killer. Yes, you're free to choose any non-offensive user name you like, but this is a site for professionals and their clients, and indie_hunk would certainly put me off. Finally, those mistakes in your post led me to believe that you were probably Japanese trying to pass
... See more
Hello

I have to agree with the other comments that you really are not presenting the best image here, firstly with an almost blank profile. In addition to that, I would say that your user name here is an absolute killer. Yes, you're free to choose any non-offensive user name you like, but this is a site for professionals and their clients, and indie_hunk would certainly put me off. Finally, those mistakes in your post led me to believe that you were probably Japanese trying to pass yourself off as an English native translator. Looking at your Kudoz entries, I think you probably are a native English speaker but that wasn't my first impression.

In short I would say that you are expecting clients to take a huge leap of faith. You need to start thinking like a true professional linguistic expert before you can expect your clients to believe in you.

Hope that helps.

Sheila
Collapse

ihd (X)
ihd (X)
Local time: 20:03
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the replies! Jul 3, 2011

Thank you for all the responses!

First of all, I haven't really looked for jobs via Proz. Therefore, I haven't uploaded much info. about me.

And as for the mistakes.... Pretty embarrassing stuff, lol. But I think everyone makes typos from time to time. I don't think it's fair to judge someone's linguistic ability over a post. Furthermore, considering that I have passed several translation tests, I would like to think my ENG writing ability is all right.

I
... See more
Thank you for all the responses!

First of all, I haven't really looked for jobs via Proz. Therefore, I haven't uploaded much info. about me.

And as for the mistakes.... Pretty embarrassing stuff, lol. But I think everyone makes typos from time to time. I don't think it's fair to judge someone's linguistic ability over a post. Furthermore, considering that I have passed several translation tests, I would like to think my ENG writing ability is all right.

I think I should have made myself clearer. I am wondering if it would be okay to contact the agencies that I am registered with (in other words, the agencies whose translation tests I've passed). Any thoughts?

Needless to say, my professional e-mails and works do not contain any grammatical/spelling mistakes
Collapse

Angus Stewart
Angus Stewart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
Yes Jul 3, 2011

I think that it is acceptable for you to recontact the agencies that you've registered with after a certain period of time has elapsed, since your last contact. This can be done as a subtle form of marketing to update them regarding any relevant changes in your details, such as qualifications, experience gained in particular areas, new software etc. This serves to remind the agency that you exist and bring you to their attention once more. At the same time, you could take the occasion to subtly ... See more
I think that it is acceptable for you to recontact the agencies that you've registered with after a certain period of time has elapsed, since your last contact. This can be done as a subtle form of marketing to update them regarding any relevant changes in your details, such as qualifications, experience gained in particular areas, new software etc. This serves to remind the agency that you exist and bring you to their attention once more. At the same time, you could take the occasion to subtly indicate that you would be like to receive work from them.Collapse

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:03
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Your rate for translation is higher than the rates Jul 4, 2011

offerred by the other colleagues in their data base but your rate for checking is lower than theirs.

Period.

[Edited at 2011-07-04 00:07 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-07-04 00:08 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-07-04 00:09 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to ask for jobs after passing trials

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »