Tanja Wohlgemuth
Tanja Wohlgemuth  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:30
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
Apr 2, 2002

I know this question has come up before, but I can\'t find the thread anymore... So I hope you don\'t mind my asking again: how can one convert rates, i.e. if I usually charge x Euro per source word, how do I get my rate per page with 25 lines with 60 characters each? I have no idea how many words there would be in such a page...

Thanks ever so much for your help!

LAC
LAC
France
French to English
+ ...
"long method" Apr 2, 2002

This probably isn\'t the shortest way to do it but if I had to do the same conversion I would take an \"average\" text (1 or 2 pages long) and set the margins etc. so that the numbers of characters per line and number of lines per page match (60 car./line, 25 lines/pg).

That\'ll tell me how many \"feuillets\" (that is what you need to rate, right? un feuillet français??) there are in the document.Then divide the total number of words by the total \"pages\" = words per \"page\"...
... See more
This probably isn\'t the shortest way to do it but if I had to do the same conversion I would take an \"average\" text (1 or 2 pages long) and set the margins etc. so that the numbers of characters per line and number of lines per page match (60 car./line, 25 lines/pg).

That\'ll tell me how many \"feuillets\" (that is what you need to rate, right? un feuillet français??) there are in the document.Then divide the total number of words by the total \"pages\" = words per \"page\"...

Et Voilà !
Collapse

Geneviève von Levetzow
Geneviève von Levetzow  Identity Verified
French to German
+ ...
Ausrechnen Apr 2, 2002

Hallo Tanja,

vielleicht hilft\'s weiter:

Zeichen mit Leerzeichen % 60 (in diesem konkreten Falle) = Zeilenanzahl

Zeilenanzahl x n € = Gesamtpreis

Gesamtpreis % Wortanzahl = Wortpreis

Herzliche Grüße

Geneviève

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:30
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Rate per Word X 8.8 (Words per Line) Apr 2, 2002

Hi,

Your rate per word X 8.8 (words per line). I use this \"theoretical number\" of words per standard line the opposite direction, as I normally charge per line (55 strokes).

Giuliana
[addsig]

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Local time: 06:30
German to English
+ ...
Factor 8.8 Apr 2, 2002

That\'s a good approximation.

If you want to get a better idea, you can take any of your previous translations (in WORD) and do the following:

- under \"Properties\", check the word count

- check the number of characters (including spaces)

- take the number of characters and divide them by 55 (or 60) ==> number of lines

- take the full amount you charged for this translation and divide it by the number of lines ==> and you\
... See more
That\'s a good approximation.

If you want to get a better idea, you can take any of your previous translations (in WORD) and do the following:

- under \"Properties\", check the word count

- check the number of characters (including spaces)

- take the number of characters and divide them by 55 (or 60) ==> number of lines

- take the full amount you charged for this translation and divide it by the number of lines ==> and you\'ll arrive at a price per line that corresponds to your rate per word.

Collapse

Johanna Timm, PhD
Johanna Timm, PhD  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:30
English to German
+ ...
Lines vs. word count Apr 2, 2002

I asked the same questions some months ago in the German section and received many useful hints.

http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&eid_c=9207&topic=493&forum=27&15

Good luck!

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Lines vs. word count Apr 3, 2002

In my opinion you should take some (3 or 4) big textes each in your source and target language. Then estimate the number of characters (including spaces) and the number of words (simply using Microsoft Word). Dividing number of characters by number of words you get the average characters per word. Then divide the line length you usually charge by the average word length - that is the number you are looking for.

For the German an Polish language the good approximation is 7 word per line
... See more
In my opinion you should take some (3 or 4) big textes each in your source and target language. Then estimate the number of characters (including spaces) and the number of words (simply using Microsoft Word). Dividing number of characters by number of words you get the average characters per word. Then divide the line length you usually charge by the average word length - that is the number you are looking for.

For the German an Polish language the good approximation is 7 word per line (DIN-Line with 55 characters including spaces)

Regards

J. Czopik
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates conversion: per-word vs. per-line

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »